Customer reviews

The Virgin Gardener
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 May 2009
I am not a virgin gardener, in fact I've been gardening for some decades now.
I have tons of gardening books and this one went straight into my "all time favorites that I'll read again and again".
The layout and photos are modern and very good looking, the writing is non pretentious and pleasant and the subject matter is really good. I loved almost every recipe, and am already on to trying them out. I would love to give this book as a gift it is just so lovely.
Well done, Laetitia!
on 26 July 2012
I am not a virgin gardener but adore this gem of a book. She is so quirky and writes so well too. Can't wait to do my pond in a bucket. Just adore this book. Thank you laetitia!
on 28 October 2013
Given away as a gift so I've only flicked through it but gratefully received and she reported back that it immediately inspired her to venture out into the garden.
on 6 March 2009
Being an absolute novice when it comes to gardening, I wanted a book which could teach me the absolute basics, without being patronising and using terminology I can understand. Well, The Virgin Gardener is exactly the book I have been searching for, and so much more!

This is an utterly beautiful and inspiring book, besides the useful instructions for growing various plants (both indoor and outdoor, decorative and functional). It doesn't simply explain how to grow plants, but offers ideas for what you can do with your beautiful flowers and tasty gardening ventures. In this respect, it encourages you to garden far more than any other book I have read: there are reasons to grow certain plants: not simply for beauty, but for wonderful dinner parties, gifts, cookery and home decoration.

The explanations are wonderful: no jargon which (as a truly "virgin" gardener) I could not fathom, and also wonderful to read. There are full color photos and beautiful illustrations throughout making this the pride of any potential gardener's coffee table too!

And although I am a novice, I would expect that there are plenty of ideas in here for even experienced gardeners to feel inspired.
on 13 January 2014
Bought this book as a present for work colleague and she seemed really pleased with it. Said like books like this.
on 15 March 2009
I was given this as a gift 2 days ago, and it's not left my side since. This is just the approach to gardening that I need, not too serious, packed with suggestions and information to get me started and to inspire. I'm off to the garden centre this morning, as I can't wait to get started. It doesn't assume you have half an acre, it doesn't assume you know anything - perfect for the true virgin gardener.
Plus I can't wait to try the recipes once I've grown the stuff
on 30 March 2009
It turns out I am an "annual" not a "perennial" every year I have the same, good intention of sorting my garden but the enthusiasm soon fades. So, having having read a review in Vogue and seeing the gorgeous cover/photography I bought the book and now I cant put it down! If you're new to gardening it will truly demystify all the terms, tell you what plants will give you instant gratification, no waiting for your garden to 'mature' zzzz, clear step by step instructions even show you how to water your newly potted plants correctly. It also gives you some lovely tips for decorating the home. It starts with the basics, taking you through to more adventurous growing. If you're considering it as a gift BUY it and a ball of string too!
on 24 May 2015
Fantastic book. Very proud to own it .Lent it from the library originally then just had to have it!
on 8 July 2015
Bought this for a friend as have it myself and a lovely book to look through time and time again.
on 6 November 2009
I took this book out of the library yesterday and haven't been able to keep my nose out of it ever since!! It is such a delicious book that I ordered my own copy yesterday from amazon!!
I'm an experienced gardener and in my twenties, so it is reassuring to see somebody young on the scene writing a book about gardening and her enthusiasm is contagious. I love all the various projects and it has inspired me to go to the garage so I can do a cheapskate posy of flowers! I thoroughly recommend this book for Laetitia's style is so down to earth - I cannot believe the person that rated this book a 1* they need their head testing - this girl is brilliant, and yes she's attractive (good for her, if you've got flaunt it) and I hope there are more books to come!!