on 5 March 2017
Loved this whole book, and I only bought it for the dog part! Its really interesting, and if you are interested in making your animal happy, this is the book for you. It was nice to read a book with a different take to all the other dog books out there, i.e. rather than looking at how to get a well behaved dog, it looks at what you can do to make your dog (pet)'s life better. That will always result in better behaviour in my opinion, for example, leave them with plenty to do when you go out and they won't chew as much furniture. Just saying.
review image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 June 2017
great book with practical information written in an accessible way
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 July 2010
Wow. Now I understand why chasing the cat out of my bedroom doesn't actually train her to stay out of there. (1, you can't train cats with negative reinforcement and 2, after the first second, I'm effectively punishing her for moving in the direction I want her to go.) It's counter-intuitive, but when she explains it, it makes sense. It also explodes quite a lot of myths, like wolves living in packs with alphas, and cats being anti-social, and that can only be good for understanding animals better.

I'm very interested in animal psychology and behaviour, and I'm thinking of retraining to work with animals. This book was very useful and inspiring for that.

I think the only caveat I'd give is that the later chapters are heavily industry-based. Obviously you can apply the basic ideas to your own arrangement. But if you have, say, a pig or three chickens in the garden, the pig and poultry chapters won't be much direct help - I'm still not really sure how to get the cockerel to stop attacking me, though I have some ideas regarding distractions and not provoking fear and rage.
on 16 July 2009
what a fantastic book!! I own dogs and thought I knew a lot about them. If you feel the same way THINK AGAIN.
I can't recommend this book highly enough and topics Temple Grandin brings up are worthy of note, and I wholy agree with her especially in the dog section as that is the field I am most interested in.Making Animals Happy: How to Create the Best Life for Pets and Other Animals
on 22 April 2013
As a great admirer of Temple Grandin and her excellent work I was looking forward to reading another of her books. However, I was disappointed to find that I already owned the same book under a different title. Did I miss something when making my second purchase?

The content is excellent and easy to read.
on 26 April 2011
I was expecting this book to help me understand what really makes animals tick and it didn't disappoint. Lots of great real life stories which were easy to relate to and understand. If you are passionate about animals I would highly recommend this book.
on 14 May 2012
Interesting observations and advice particularly regarding the FEAR response and negative reinforcement which is so often an issue many of us, no matter how well meaning, are guilty of when dealing with animals, domestic or wild.
Temple Grandin communicates with us all, raising awareness and empathy without inflicting too much guilt!

Well worth reading and keeping handy for future reference.
on 6 July 2009
Oh my goodness!! What a fabulous woman!! I have three dogs of my own and after reading this book it has really made me understand my dogs in many ways, i have noticed this i would not have done before and i now have a much clearer understanding of how animals (not just dogs) think. This woman is so clever and sshe explains everything very clearly, this is a really easy read for anyone with an intrest in animals of all kind from dogs and cats to chickens and gerbils! this woman knows it all!! The best book i've read in ages. i MUST read for all animal lovers and trainers!
on 24 December 2015
Great book, Temple Grandin is brilliant, all animal owners should take the time to learn more about the innate behavioiur of their 'pet' and how best to make them happy
on 31 January 2013
Yes I found the book quite interesting although there is only a small section on cats, which is mainly why I purchased this book.