Customer reviews

on 7 July 2017
Item as described, prompt delivery.
on 9 January 2009
Came across the first(Larklight)and bought it mainly because I was looking for a present - then I went out and bought another copy because I couldn't bear to give it up. So Starcross fairly leapt off the shelf at me. For me the fun of these books is precisely because they take the michael out of the British Edwardian and 1920s attitudes to the world that heavily influenced the 1960s comics and childrens books when I was growing up. I accept that to really get the joke you have to be of a certain age - yes and British as the last reviewer suggests.No doubt British readers miss a lot of the humour in the works of Robert Asprin, Robert Sheckley and all those superb US writers of comic SF. Its a pity but there it is. Even if you don't entirely get the joke its a good story (or even "a ripping yarn") and the binding, illustrations and spoof adverts alone are worth the price. A Jolly Good Read for Boys - and girls thank you Myrtle.
In this, the second novel in the series of Larklight by Philip Reeve the heroes of the original return in an adventure of bewilderment, adventure and mystery as secrets uncovered from the first outing return to cause not only problems but require solutions. As with the original its quintessentially British in its offering with typical humour, the stiff upper lip attitude and above all the message that no problem is insurmountable. A great second offering from the author and one that really has made me a firm fan. I really can't wait for the third part.
on 13 June 2008
If you love J.K.Rowling you will love Philip Reeve.

A rip roaring adventure through the victorian cosmos, stopping for
afternoon tea and cakes, naturally.

Wonderfully written and illustrated. the book tells of the adventures of brother and sister, Art and Myrtle Mumby.
Set in the victorian cosmos (they thought we could breath in space) they have exciting adventures. Fighting off robots, black spectral space brain control things, mad scientists, French secret agents, all with the help of space pirates.
Its a fantastic read.
I am probably not the sort of person that this book was aimed at, No, im not a middle teen nor am i a pre-teen fan of the Harry Potter books who fancied a change of read. I am in fact a 28 year old civil engineer from kent, with a wife and a baby boy on his way.
It just goes to show that this book can appeal to anyone.
on 29 September 2007
Starcross is a wonderful continuation of the Larklight series, following the continuing adventures of the Mumby family in their Steampunk adventures in space. In a universe wonderfully illustrated by Mr Wyatt, Mr Reeve presents deep-space fish, trains that traverse the aether between asteroids, aliens both friendly and terrible, space pirates and secret government agents, automatons and the VERY latest in Victorian-styled bathing costumes!

I found it lots of fun - and if I could I'd give it a 4.9, as it's just not quite as good as Larklight, the prequel. I'd recommend reading Larklight first, as it provides a lot of the character background. Looking forward to Mothstorm!
on 27 January 2011
Bought originally for my 14yo for Christmas he turned up his nose and 11yo said could he have it instead! He read it in a day and obviously enjoyed it so 14yo suddenly wanted it back . . . he then read it from cover to cover in a day and a half, fast for him.

I then got to read it.

I don't think it (and its companions in the series) is / are as intrically thought out as the Mortal Engines / Hungry Cities quartet. However the empirical test is the effect they have on my boys and here the score is the same. Therefore, I have to award this book five stars!
on 22 April 2013
an innocent action adventure book for juvenile/adult alike. Reeve has a nice way of writing a story and these books lead onto a series of books. I liked them so much I bought the whole Reeve collection of moving cities, dragons,goblins and all. very nice.
on 9 April 2009
excellent sequel as good as the first book at least as good as the first one i thought.More odd aliens and more daring do-what more could we ask for?
on 22 February 2014
I really liked starcross and larklight because they were exciting and interesting books that I thing any age would enjoy.
on 18 September 2013
I love the ideas behind this series. Great characters and settings. Wish i had lived in a flying house for my childhood!