on 16 February 2017
I read a lot and have recently finished reading the seven books in the series of Septimas Heap so when I saw this book I thought it would be just as good and so bought it.
Whilst I love the querkiness of the book, I was disappointed with some of the drawings. Don't get me wrong, they all all very very good: however, they are not discriptive of what the book counter up.
I know that we all get our own idea of what people look like and what the houses look like, but The Heap parents are drawn far too young, and do not have the wizard green eyes that the series makes you very aware that the Wizards have. Simon Heap is drawn almost as old as his father, whilst the young Septimas Heap, as a young expendable is far to nourished and clean looking. Marcia Overstrand has shoes not as described in the book, much too short in the toes, not at all as described I the books.
I think this book is ok, but not as good as her story books by a long way.
on 26 August 2017
Can’t recommend enough.
VINE VOICEon 1 November 2009
Septimus Heap has been described by some as the poor mans Harry Potter. I respectfully disagree with that assessment as it's a pheomena in its own right as the hero of the series takes the reader on an adventure in a totally unique fantasy world. Here presented in this book is the accompanying guide to the series to date that adds not only interesting tip bits for the reader but also expands on some of the unique points along with giving some back history as if it were a tourist guide.

It's a great read and addition to the series and will be something that the reader will get a real kick out of. However that said, I've read this without having read the series first so that I could get the feel of the world before embarking on it. What it does do as well, is unfortunately carry spoilers which might ruin the books for you as some of the twists will be ruined which whilst I don't object to, might ruin it for the younger reader. Still it is good fun.
on 31 July 2009
The Septimus Heap series has earned its place his year on my favourites list, and for good reason. Entertaining plots that sweep you along, a wonderfully and brilliantly imagined world, and a perfectly ridiculous sense of humour that is strongly reminicent of J K Rowling.

However, this book is not one you would read on its own. It provides background materials and quirky observations from Angie Sage's world. It fills in some missing history, recapitulates some of the story and keeps you smiling. However, the book is not a story in its own right. This is a book for people who already love the series.

But if you love the series you will want this book. Not that it is brilliant in the same way the stories are. But it is just good fun, and if you cannot get enough of Septimus Heap then this will fill your longing until the autumn when the next book is due out. It is also beautifully illustrated, and with a good few fun items to pore over and consider. It is also possible to guess which parts of this book may be used in the next one.

I enjoyed this very much - but if you are new to the series, don't start here - buy "Magyk" instead.
on 8 April 2013
The finish to this book is lovely with full colour. There is no point in buying this though if you haven't read some of the Septimus Heap series as it is a companion to the books. It gives the history of the world occupied by Septimum Heap and includes the private diaries and journals of some of the Septimus Heap characters. It is not a story book, more of a fictional reference book. It gives information on the characters that you cannot find out from reading the Septimum Heap series. Recommend for ages 8 upwards.
on 10 August 2009
I was eagerly awaiting for this book as I love the Septimus Heap series. The idea is its a collection of papers - journals, maps, diaries, official documents etc. complied and written by the characters in Angie Sage's world. The drawings are brilliant drawn and are in full colour- keeping it in line with the books. It was interesting reading about some the Palace but I felt more could of been added, but maybe another volume or revealled in the next book(s). It expands on what the reader knows of the characters and because its written by the author is excellent and fits in nicely. It does remind me of JK Rowling's 2 Comic Relief books (Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and where to Find Them), which like this book are tasters of the magical worlds they represent.
Unusually the cover is a bit different from the series even the fonts are the same, but it still looks great. I highly recommend this book to any lover of the Septimus Heap series.
on 11 December 2012
This book is great for all that extra information and backs up the series well. We enjoyed looking at the illustrations to see how alike they were to the ones we had imagined in our mind. Another good way to keep boys reading!
on 23 April 2013
As a bonus book to the Septimus Heap series this is fantastic. Started and finished it within a weekend and would thoroughly recommend it.
Wish J.K Rowling would produce something similar for the HP series.
on 7 December 2010
really great looking cover and illustrations inside. Not what I expected it to be, it is a collection of background stories/papers.
on 23 October 2013
Arrived promptly and well packed. Am already reading the 2nd story in the series so will wait until that is finished before I read this one thoroughly although I have had a quick peep into it.

Once I have finished all the books in the series I shall be passing them on to my daughter and then subsequently to her children.

I got hooked when I picked up the first book, Magyk, at a charity shop and now I cannot put them down!