on 6 March 2017
My son is very sporty but also loves books, especially scary ones. This one was one of the God ones. He said 4 but I say 5
Each story in Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth is short and sweet, and is of a suitably scary nature. Younger readers will love the creepy characters and settings, especially seeing as Halloween is looming just around the corner.

I particularly liked how Priestley linked his present characters with stories from the past. It was a clever way of connecting everything, and made the stories flow smoothly from one to the other. I enjoyed his writing style, and am definitely thinking of buying the other books in the Tales of Terror series.

My personal favourite stories from this anthology were The Glass House, The Island and The Little People. Killer plants, dinosaur-like creatures and evil fairies -- what more could I ask for?! Each tale was well crafted and thought out, and my only complaint is that some of them weren't longer. I could easily have read another twenty pages or so, though that would probably defeat the point of a short story.

If you're looking for a quick, gruesome read for younger teenagers, give the Tales of Terror books a go. They're highly entertaining, and will no doubt be the perfect alternative for readers not yet mature enough to tackle older horror fiction.
33 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 25 March 2014
Robert Harper is going back to school. He’s quite happy about that, as he has a distant relationship with his father, and doesn’t really care for his stepmother, however much she seems to love him. He is put on the train (this book is set I felt in the late nineteenth century, although that is never confirmed) and begins his journey, being joined in the carriage by people he thinks of as the Major, the bishop, the farmer, the surgeon and lastly the Woman in White. When the train journey is interrupted and the others in the carriage are lost in sleep, the Woman in White keeps Robert in conversation, and tells him a number of horrifying tales.

This book goes wonderfully well with the volumes Tales of Terror from the Black Ship, and Uncle Montague’s Tales of Terror. As with these other volumes, there is an overarching storyline that weaves through the book, the tales being told in the interim becoming more horrifying and more scary as each one unfolds. It’s not until you get to the end that the ultimate horror of the whole story hits you. These are great books; I thoroughly enjoyed all three of these Tales volumes, and I have enjoyed others of the author’s books as well. Definitely recommended, and they would be a great read for a younger reader (though not too young, as the tales would be a bit scary for a youngster) or to have read to them.
88 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2010
Aimee, Emily and Lauren:

We all love the tales of terror books; they are brilliant fun to read. We highly recommend these books to young teenagers and older readers. With its spooky, yet humorous characters and settings it's a great book to share with your friends and family. Our favourite stories from the book are the little people, Gerald and the tunnels mouth. We all found it very entertaining and would love to see more books like this.

Bipin

A fantastic book with spine chilling thriller stories. Like the rest of the books in the series, this book has fantastic horror stories like the crack in the wall. In which there is a crack in the wall and it doesn't fill up whatever the people do, but has a secret even dangerous.
Hope you like the book.

Christina & Emily

We have recently read tales of terror from the tunnels mouth in class and we think that... We liked tales of terror from the tunnels mouth because in some ways it was gory and in some ways it was scary. Our favourites were Gerald and the Glasshouse,
because the Puppet Master was very scary and would cut off a persons hair and make a puppet just like them.

Kai and Camilo

We have read this book in class it's a great book but you have to read it at night to find it scary our favourite and scariest ones are the island, Gerald, the glass house,
Sister veronica, the croatch stone and the whispering boy. We will give it a 7.5 out of 10 it has some lovely blood and gore but it could do with a bit more and a marvellous ending and is suitable for children raging from 5 to 14 years old.

Laura

I have recently read tales of terror from the tunnels mouth and I loved it. I like the story that brings every thing together about the boy on the train. Although I didn't find it very scary I thought it was very entertaining. My favourite was the little people and if I had to say my scariest it would be Gerald.

Matthew

We have just finished the book Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's mouth in class - and believe me, it's fantastic. I enjoyed Gerald, A Crack in the Wall, The Whispering Boy and The Little People. I would highly recommend that you should buy this book, as some of the stories will chill you to the bone. With evil fairies to imaginative friends, this book has it all.

It all starts when this boy is heading to London on a train, but stranger things happen on the way. As he is told many stories on the journey, it all becomes clear what is going on...

Saeed

By reading this book some of the stories sent shivers down my spine. I recommend this book to anyone who loves blood. I mostly enjoyed the story Gerald. Gerald is story of something scuttling around your room; the image in my head just sends me crawling. Maybe you can get some chills off of this. It's a defiant yes for reading, this is a must read.

Vedika, Venancia, Libby, Janice.

We all have read this book and we have all enjoyed it. The stories have been brilliantly written. All of the chapters sent shivers down our spines. This book is appropriate to all children accept the children that are nervous disposition. Chris Priestley described the chapters well and the cover makes you want to get your head in the book.
on 9 November 2010
After reading a book by the same author and being pleasantly surprised by the 'chill factor', I decided to try another 'Tales of Terror' book and was once again very pleased with the collection of tales in the book. Many spooky stories aimed at kids tend to lack any real 'chill' in my experience, but Priestley's stories are written in such a way that is 'just right' for a variety of readers, 11 and over. I will be reading more of his books and have already recommended this and 'Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror' to others.
on 11 December 2012
Chris Priestley has once again shown his imaginative brillience in this book, i thoroughly enjoyed reading it and i for one dont believe it is just for children, i am 16 and thought it was just for me. I dont like Adult books anyway! I could not put the book down and i read it in two nights. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy a quick read that boosts the imagination and likes anything set in the Victorian era.
on 18 January 2010
Chris Priestley certainly deserves his reputation as a masterful teller of chilling tales. His latest collection of stories, Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth is no disappointment for those who enjoyed his other books in the Tales of Terror series, Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror and Tales of Terror from the Black Ship.

Robert, a serious and proud boy, is travelling to school alone for the first time. Into his train carriage walks a lady in white, young and beautiful but unsettling and unusual. Their train is delayed at the mouth of a long, dark tunnel and to pass the time the woman in white begins to tell stories. Each one involves a supernatural element, a strange and spine chilling twist that often comes unexpectedly such as a governess finding that the problem child in her care may not exist or a travelling puppet master who is more than he seems. Many of the actors in these stories, who are more often than not children themselves, have character flaws that lead to their demise. This results in a moral message to many tales, which in the hands of any other author could easily be patronising. Priestly avoids this well which is testament to his skill.

The main narrative concerns Robert and the woman in white and this helps to connect the separate stories in a compelling way, giving the book structure. Each story seems to be set in the same turn of the century time period, although in many it is just implied, and this gives the book a consistent tone and feel that perfectly matches the eerie content of the book. This results in a book that is well organised, easy to read as a novel rather than a collection of short stories and distinctly unsettling in an enjoyable way. I would also mention the excellent illustrations, an unusual sight in a book aimed at older children, but absolutely vital in painting the brooding and malevolent atmosphere that is present throughout. We here at Kid's Compass thoroughly enjoyed this book, which was incredibly creepy, wonderfully unexpected and crafted in a superb way. This book would be a perfect pick for dark autumnal evenings when the supernatural is ever more believable.

There are some frightening stories that may not be suitable for more sensitive readers.
on 22 February 2016
These are tales that are best enjoyed by a crackling fire on a stormy night.
Try to get the first editions illustrated by David Roberts...sinister and alluring.
An essential read for lovers of quirky Victoriana.

Chris Priestley - we want some more!
on 18 June 2016
A good collection of spooky tales wrapped in an interesting and suspenseful narrative. Perhaps not as good as Uncle Montagues Tales but still an excellent
read from Chris Priestly who never disappoints me.
on 12 April 2013
i love the short stories, they are scary but enjoyable. the story is set in Victories times, chaotic style. great book for kids. the illustrations are great to look at.