on 8 March 2012
I've read quite a few victorian novelists. I think Chris Priestly has captured the period very well indeed. It's a good traditional ghost story and none the worse for that. It doesn't take long to read, so if you're looking for a filler between long books it's ideal. Highly recommended.
on 7 June 2012
I enjoyed reading this spooky tale. Although it's a little short, it's atmospheric with a great ending (which I won't give away). The book has a definite gothic feel to it, and fans of the Woman in Black will probably enjoy this.
on 30 December 2016
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 March 2012
An excellent read which kept me on the edge of my seat all the time. It is the sort of book that you can loose yourself in and be unaware of your surroundings so it is best to read it when you are on your own. I couldn't put it down.
on 28 October 2016
A great read with my daughter over the Halloween period
on 1 April 2016
Great children's ghost story.
on 21 January 2015
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 September 2013
A good read for holiday time. Would try another of his books as this was a first off for me.
on 7 November 2010
A simple but chilling tale, masterfully told. It's got everything a ghost story should have. It's darkly atmospheric, laced with suspicious characters and shadowy happenings. It's tinged with tragedy, terror and a horrible ending that makes you want to sleep with the light on.

Maybe I'm a massive wuss but Dead of Winter left me with a nasty, vulnerable feeling between my shoulder blades...just like a good ghost story should.

I read it in one massive gulp.
on 20 September 2011
This is a bit of a guilty read, as it is aimed at young adults. However, once you get passed that, what you get is a highly enjoyable book, which will only take a couple of days to read. Parts of the plot are a bit contrived, and the ending feels fast tracked, but it hits the mark most of the time, spooky and atmospheric on an autumn day!