on 11 January 2012
I have just finished reading The Dead of Winter, and I still don't want to turn the light off and go to sleep!

Despite being aimed at children, it had me on edge throughout and is genuinely creepy. Not scary and gory, just creepy - but that is more what horror is about, what you don't read. It also deals with some mature subjects - the story begins at the narrator's mother's funeral and him being packed off to his mentally instable guardian, who lives in a haunted castle in the middle of nowhere - if it wasn't for the respite of the friendly servants I don't think I would have been able to finish the book!

Very well written, and definitely not just for children!
One person found this helpful
on 11 June 2012
Enjoyable read, a few creepy moments. I love the ending, though the book has a bit of a slow start. It's not a book with depth, and I now realise that it's because it's aim at young adults. And the reveal, of what the darkness is, is quite a twist.

Enjoyable read. Worth it for 99p which was the price I paid, though the price is 4 times as much now and I don't think it's worth that much for something that is just a cheap YA thrill, and more a novelette than a novel.
2 people found this helpful
on 11 March 2012
I had no idea that this novel was aimed at young adults when I bought it a Christmas (I think it was on special offer). The whole story had a bit of a M.R. James vibe (turn of the century ghost stories) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story was compelling and I for one was eager to find out the source of the haunting. I was slightly disappointed when the whole story came out at the end - I won't spoil it for new readers but I had a different theory about the 'ghost'. However, all in all a good read for young adults and grown-up adults alike!
on 17 January 2012
I am fast approaching the big 40 so cannot be described as a young adult. I would urge anyone who loves a good ghost story to buy it. It is a real page turner that I just did not want to put down. I was quite disappointed to get to the end of the book as I did not want it to end. You get drawn in to the young mans world very quickly. Although the story is spooky it is not too over the top, which in my mind made it all the more scary.
on 30 June 2015
Not bad at all. I had worked out what was going on and who was the culprit well before the end of the book but this did not deter me as over all i like his style of writing. I have read several if Chris Priestlys books and i have always enjoyed them, he is easy reading and his books can beread quite quickly.
VINE VOICEon 29 December 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this novella. One of my first Kindle downloads....it was a quick read and maintained a spooky feel throughout. It is aimed at late teens, but like many books of late, transposes well to an adult audience.
The author creates a great horror style atmosphere and all the characters are well drawn.
on 28 February 2016
Read it with members of my class as a "wider reading" exercise - we all loved it!
on 26 May 2013
im not sure if this book is ment to be for younger minds but im 22 and was so hooked on this book and loved it and then i told my siter whos 20 and she was hooked too so young or not this is a must read!
on 26 March 2012
An excellent read which kept me on the edge of my seat all the time. It is the sort of book that you can loose yourself in and be unaware of your surroundings so it is best to read it when you are on your own. I couldn't put it down.
on 28 July 2016