on 13 May 2017
Donna Tartt is a master at creating immersive, compelling worlds, and The Goldfinch is no different. It starts with a horrendous accident, one that kills young Theo's mother and leaves him in possession of something he really shouldn't have. The book follows him through his life - his friendship with a wealthy boy, his laconic years in the Las Vegas desert, and throughout, you're plagued by this sense that he's heading towards his doom. Perhaps he was doomed from the start.

This book is highly atmospheric and Tartt's descriptions (as ever) are so evocative. You can really picture the places she writes about; the dusty antiques store, the posh but inadequate home outside of Las Vegas...it's all very powerfully written. My only critique? It needed an edit. Towards the end, it starts to meander a little and I felt my interest waning.

However, overall, it's a glorious read!
on 6 April 2017
In my top ten ever best books. A must-read-and I've read it twice. I then went on to read all her others but this for me is her absolute best
on 18 March 2017
Not my usual read, but I was attracted by the description on the back and wanted a good long read. Overall the story was good, although I did think parts of it were a bit drawn out. I almost gave up at one point, but stuck with it. The ending was a little predictable, but if you want a decent length book it is worth a read.
on 25 February 2014
I loved The Secret History but this is even better. The Goldfinch isn't a book to rush through, it's a book to savour, because this isn't just about the theft of a painting, it's about the human condition and how everything that happens to us affects the rest of our lives. There is so much to enjoy: dialogue that is so real that I felt I was listening in to a conversation and passages of such brilliance that I had to read them twice. Sometimes the tension was so great that I needed to close the book and take a deep breath before I could start again. A mark of a great book is that people who've read it want to talk about it and I'm pleased that I can join in the conversation. However, I agree with posters who say it's a bit too long. Although the writing is always wonderful, sometimes I needed to move on and find out what happened next. I still love it, but I would love it more if it was a bit shorter.
on 16 July 2017
I couldn't put this down for the first 500 or so pages, and although the ending was poignant and beautiful, some judicious editing would have turned this wonderful novel into a true masterpiece. Tartt is a superb writer, and her observations about human nature cut with deadly precision.
on 22 July 2017
I read this book because many friends raved about the Donna Tartt novels especially this one. Initially I found it very slow going, I didn't particularly warm to the main character. Once I got into it, it was a page turner and I was keen to see how the chaos would resolve itself. By the end though, although there was a nice tale of redemption, I found myself frustrated and still struggling to empathise with a main character who is weak and surrenders to his weakness.
on 23 March 2017
One day I shall read it again, despite its length. It takes you places you never thought you'd experience, and her writing is extraordinary.
on 28 January 2014
I very much enjoyed this novel. I prefer The Secret History and didn't much like The Little Friend. I did wonder how this was going to end and I deducted a start for the ending which was elegiac nonsense. But! It's over 700 pages and I read it eagerly every night so I it give it a try - highly recommended.
on 20 March 2017
Found the storyline slow and uninspiring sadly, gave up half way through
on 5 May 2015
I enjoyed this book but found parts of it too long and wanted the story to move along. It is a thought provoking story and gave no real end to wanting to know what happened to the other characters.