on 18 March 2017
Not my usual read, but I was attracted by the description on the back and wanted a good long read. Overall the story was good, although I did think parts of it were a bit drawn out. I almost gave up at one point, but stuck with it. The ending was a little predictable, but if you want a decent length book it is worth a read.
on 6 August 2017
A few people had recommended this book, but it felt a little bit 'emperor's new clothes' to me I'm afraid. There were some bits which I loved, but great chunks which I found drawn out, wordy and rather dull. I found the relentless drug-taking off-putting and I found it hard to warm to shy if the characters, with the exception of Hobie and Pippa. I couldn't work out whether we were supposed to like Theo or not.

I confess I lost interest by page 700 and it was a real slog to finish it. Another reviewer summed this book up by saying it was both 'fantastic and boring'.
on 18 September 2017
brilliant, one of those books you get totally engrossed in. I have never read anything by this author before but I will make a point of reading anything else she writes. The characters really came alive for me.
on 7 September 2017
Wildly feted but I was disturbed that there was barely a page out of 800 without drunkenness, drugs and vomit. Well written but personally found it depressing and oppressive.
on 28 January 2014
I very much enjoyed this novel. I prefer The Secret History and didn't much like The Little Friend. I did wonder how this was going to end and I deducted a start for the ending which was elegiac nonsense. But! It's over 700 pages and I read it eagerly every night so I it give it a try - highly recommended.
on 3 September 2017
A good read, with such wonderful characters, although the book is a little lengthy, it could of been edited, but I couldn't put it down, wish I'd bought it in paperback & i would of taken it on vacation with me! I do like Donna Tartt style of writing, the book was delivered within days of ordering, speedy delivery!
on 5 May 2015
I enjoyed this book but found parts of it too long and wanted the story to move along. It is a thought provoking story and gave no real end to wanting to know what happened to the other characters.
on 9 September 2017
Another excellent Donna Tartt book - one that is on my list of 5 star reads. Have read and reread - love it; the characters stay with you.
on 16 June 2017
A good read arrived quickly
on 24 May 2017
Loved, hated, loved the main character.
Sometimes quite uncomfortable to read
But still a very good book