on 22 January 2014
Great story,loving this book, a real page turner to keep you totally engaged, so beautifully written, too. Another winner from the excellent Donna Tartt.
on 26 March 2015
Loved it - from beginning to end. Well written, good likeable characters, interesting settings and background details of art and antiques - (not too much to bore though), complicated enough plot, satisfying conclusion. Just a thoroughly good read.
on 13 January 2015
A rich, broad, vividly-written story, with plausible shocks. Best read in long sessions because of its steady pace, it IS long, perhaps a little too long overall, however it leaves an impression that keeps its questions in the mind long afterward.
on 7 August 2014
I have read and enjoyed Donna Tartt's other books. This, though, I found difficult to engage with or care about. The plot and characters were frustrating at times and the book was just too long. And yet the end made me think and almost redeemed ir
on 28 July 2014
I found the book very gripping and enjoyed the descriptions of all the characters and their relationships with Theo
I didn't like some of the dialogue between Theo and Boris, although I understand that the detail was necessary to the story.
on 26 November 2014
For most of this book I was enthralled but I thought the last section in Amsterdam was unrealistic and then the ending was a long time coming. I don't think the author knew what to do with his characters and in the end, didn't do anything at all.
on 3 August 2014
A great story, well told, with some great characters. However, the final few pages annoyed me with their self-conscious 'to my non-existent reader...[i'm just going to expound on the meaning of life in a way that is clearly intended to be read!]
on 20 May 2014
Brilliantly written. I was only sorry it did not go on longer. The images conjured were so real. The descriptions were almost surreal. If you like John Irving, you will love this. I enjoyed it so much that I will certainly have to read it again.
on 6 January 2014
Great plot but the development of the characters and the descriptions of locations ,incidents ,feelings made the book and it was a sad moment and a sense of loss when the last page was turned as it was all over.
on 26 November 2013
Another beautifully written novel that was a joy to read. I don't normally enjoy such lengthy descriptions of objects or places but there was enough intrigue in the story itself to keep my interest and I could hardly put it down once I'd started.