VINE VOICEon 2 September 2013
I am delighted that I found this book - not only for reasons of research for my own novels (expect gleaned bits of information to be used extensively) but this is also a fascinating, intriguing and (in places) amusing read (there are also some details that make me so pleased I live now not then! I'm not sure that I'd like to call on the blacksmith next time I have toothache!)

Highly recommended for anyone interested in 18th century England or Jane Austen. A must have for writers of this period!
on 25 October 2013
I wanted to know how my ancestors would have lived around this time and this book provides many of the answers, covering life from cradle to grave. It is very well researched, confirming things you already know from other reading and bringing together a wealth of information that I did not know. It uses quotes extensively to support the information being provided - Jane Austen herself plus the likes of Parson Woodforde and many others - which give you ideas for further reading as well as making the book very readable. I now have a much better idea of how my ancestors lived and can put this in context with my other reading.
on 20 July 2014
what a fascinating book, I loved every page of it - I do not have a particular interest in Jane Austen, more a general interest in all things 18th century and this covered everything I find fascinating - mostly the day to day lives of how ordinary folk lived, ate, drank, went to the toilet, washed, cleaned and died - highly recommend this book
on 8 April 2016
An absolutely superb book. Beautifully written and full of fascinating information. The best and most accessible of any of the books on the period that I have ever read and I have read quite a few.
on 19 November 2015
Extremely well detailed and very interesting, they deeply researched to produce such a great book. It helped me a lot while working on Jane Austen' "Pride and Prejudice" for my reading club, together with the text guide from CGP
on 11 February 2016
Fascinating insights into the regency era; a far from perfect age but one that we could learn from in some regards - not least the lack of civility today..
on 3 June 2017
The background history adds an extra dimension to the enjoyment of Jane Austen's novels ...fascinating!
on 7 October 2016
Really intresting and well done, it will be a great resource
on 17 August 2016
Love books that highlight everyday life of the period
on 19 November 2016