I own several incomplete editions of this famous 'Hilliers Fundamental of Motor Vehicle Technology' book series, spanning at least a couple decades, maybe longer. The books, of which I believe there are currently 6 per edition, are not updated very often and seldom at the same time. Each book covers a particular aspect of motor vehicle technology. I usually buy the books associated with: mechanicals, engine, electronics and lately I have taken an interest in suspension and steering because of recent developments in tyre technology. I may supplement my collection with chassis/bodywork technology because I own an elderly Mercedes and it needs periodic maintenance. Each edition is well written and, I think, with the car enthusiast in mind as opposed to the professional reader. A complete novice could read them without too much difficulty. Highly recommended.
on 22 September 2016
I'm finding this tough going. Its given me a whole new appreciation of cars and the knowledge mechanics need to have. I think if I was a mechanic I'd be getting more from this book. But I'm just an enthusiast trying to look after my car better. It certainly seems complete, covers everything imagineable and I've learnt a thing or too. My only complaint is its a bit too technical for my level, but I can't fairly mark it down for my inaptitude.
on 19 June 2017
Very clear and useful. Ideal for a trainee mechanic or student. Its part of a range of books set at various levels. It has good pictures. I'm a lecturer in motor mechanics and I find it useful too.
on 8 December 2016
Easier to get into than I imagined. Not too technical but detailed enough.
on 8 December 2016
Bought this for my 17 year son who is at college learning to be a mechanic. I too also did a apprenticeship in mechanics (20 years ago) I wish I had had this book then to help me back then!
on 17 May 2017
Great book and very informative, essential for my coursr
on 15 April 2017
Superb
Very clearly written, and with excellent illustrations. It also clearly leads from one topic into another and cross references itself. It assumes absolutely zero starting knowledge, so great for someone looking to understand the basics of how a vehicle works. As a beginner to moderately experienced home car mechanic, I have learnt quite a bit from this book. At this price, it only ever needs to help you diagnose and fix a single problem for it to have paid for itself. Aside from that, just very good for general interest if you are interested in cars. Well recommended.
on 30 April 2012
This new edition of the Hilliers book is an excellent resource for all of my automotive students. We have always used the Hilliers book for studies and find the new 6th edition even better with enhanced images and excellent new material on new technologies such as hybrid and engine technology. The book is very extensive covering the very basics and early developments to new product unlike some other specific qualification led text books.
Great text book.
on 9 January 2015
If, like me, you love cars, but you've always kinda taken the way it works for granted, get this book.

I was never good at Physics. I have no engineering experience. I bought the Haynes Manual for my MX5 with the real intention of carrying out work but could not penetrate it's language. This book has completely opened my eyes. It has taught me so much. It is so interesting and explained so well and illustrated throughout. I'm 100 pages in and I'm hooked.

This book is utterly invaluable. I can't recommend it more highly.