TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 June 2014
I bought this for my girlfriend who had been taking a college course in childcare, at an intermediate level. She used the book frequently for essays and presentiations during the course. The information here is comprehensive and detailed yet easy to digest and is not only useful for those studying and taking exams on childcare, but as a future reference book too.

I did spend some time reading it too and found it to be very well informed, well written and with excellent references.
on 23 November 2010
this is a very good book it provides a very detailed picture of what is neede to observe the child, there are three, out of four, of us studying at the local Montessori in Dublin and we are sharing this book at the moment I'd recommend it to anyone that is doing a childcare/montessori course as this is going to be my bible for the net two yeears and I'm going to make my two colleagues/friends at the Montessori where I work buy there own copy. you'll find all the information that you need.
on 9 February 2013
Chose this book as I had previously worked with the first edition. It is a very good up-dated version with easy to use tables which are supported with accurate explanations and advice on which observation style is best suited to a variety on contexts.
This book is a great resource for all those working with children and young people.
on 9 November 2014
Unfortunately, the book is very basic and not good enough for level 6-7 academic. It actually misses out a huge chunk regarding schema and other level assessment guidance. Maybe good for Childcare level 3 but that is about it.
on 13 December 2009
the book gives you ideas on how to observe children in great detail and is helpful to know
how to write up observations and is very good for my course in child care
on 6 May 2013
I did not really like this book at it didn't help me with observations. If you had no experience it would give you some idea but for me I found it no help at all. It was recommended by my tutor but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has experience with observations
on 9 May 2014
This book provides a good understanding of the practical elements to look out for whilst observing a child play. Includes handy tip boxes and easy to follow and understand.
on 3 December 2012
This book is very useful for information on observing children, the different types, how best to set them out etc. I would recomend this to anyone who works with children.
on 14 December 2013
I purchased this book to help with my Level 3 Diploma in Preschool Practice. Even though the EYFS have changed the observation methods are still relevant.
on 22 February 2014
Great book,well written and very informative. I would recommend to all Childcare student! It did help me understand child observation and planning.