VINE VOICEon 15 November 2011
Using the device of fictional characters Sebastian Faulks looks at the workings of the novel. The characters are divided into Heroes, Lovers, Snobs and Villains and the books are from 1719 to 2003.

What shines through in this non-academic work is the author's love of literature - it would be a stony-hearted reader who was not affected by his enthusiasm. (Having said that I still have no intention of reading Clarissa!)

It is also a reminder of books read long ago. Faulks writes with a lack of pretension and re-evaluates some of the books that he first read as a young man. He reflects that a re-reading of Tom Jones brought forth a quite different opinion. He confirms that the reader does not have a fixed or immutable view of literature - our attitudes to it change as we change. So coming back to an "old favourite" can be a joyful or a disappointing experience.

Readers will undoubtedly argue as to whether the choices of characters were right. On the whole the balance was just about right. I was delighted that Ronald Merrick was included - The Raj Quartet by Paul Scott is a neglected classic. And, reading between the lines, I think Sebastian Faulks found The Golden Notebook to be as tedious as I did.....

Very enjoyable - a book for book lovers.
on 30 August 2012
I was very suspicious of my gift of a Kindle, and rather reluctantly downloaded this book as my first read (I was curious as I am currently reading Faulks' "Human Traces"). There was so much in this book that I wish I'd known years ago, and Faulks has clarified so many of my own half-considered opinions about some of the classics. I am keen to re-read them all now. I had never read Great Expectations, though was familiar with the story through the films, so I was delighted to discover that it was included. Faulks talks about Dickens' under-rated humour, and as I have now been alerted to it, I am really enjoying finding pockets throughout GE (well I think I'm about half-way through, anyway) It's also sold me on Kindle as I love the dictionary function, which I use frequently.
on 24 May 2017
Enjoyed this audio book very interesting over the moon with it.
on 18 March 2011
I haven't read this all yet, but it looks interesting. What I like about it is although it is clearly a 'tie-in' with the TV show, Faulks has taken the time to make this different. It seems a bit above your standard 'cut and paste' job. What I also like is that Faulks breaks down complicated ideas and makes them accessible - good for an English Literature teacher and student like me!
on 13 August 2013
I just recently "discovered" Faulks, so I wanted to read this one too.

I really like the way he discusses novels, or characters in novels. I am going to use this book when teaching literature.
on 28 June 2014
a great read; the book was as described by seller recommended
on 26 August 2015
useful book excellent service
on 11 May 2013
Quick efficient service. Thank you.. I have read all of Faulks novels, and this is different, as I had looked at a friends before purchasing.
on 12 September 2013
I think his style of writing is brilliant and have read almost all his books over the last few years.
on 11 February 2017
Reading several of his books, and liking his writing style very much. His books are well researched in terms of historical facts or actual and possible details, his writing conjures up beautiful spheres and his main characters in the books are very likeable mostly. Just somehow sometimes his books tend to be a bit on the melancholic side.
This book - Faulks on Fiction is for anyone interested in his thoughts and analysing of well known books of fiction.
All together his books are beautifully written, as already stated above, and really portray a deep landscapes of the human mind, his states, sufferings, enjoyments - a deep understanding what it means to be human. Very recommended.