Customer reviews

on 21 June 2011
This is a spoken word album and does not contain music.

Nevertheless, it is of interest to Wombles fans as it features six short stories adapted from the original TV series read by the man who narrated and voiced each character on that series - Bernard Cribbins OBE.

Cribbins was a regular on the BBC TV program Jackanory in which was built around the simple idea of reading to children through the medium of television. The Wombles original novels by Elisabeth Beresford were read on Jackanory and the positive response led to the creation of the TV series. The TV series theme became a UK chart hit when its writer, Mike Batt, donned a Womble costume to promote the record. The success of that record led to the Wombles as a pop band who appeared on Top of the Pops and racked up 8 chart hits.

While the TV series is available on DVD and the Womble's music available on CD/download, this album presents the actual stories that made the TV series possible in the first place. One of the unfortunate things about the success of the TV series was that the charm of the original novels, which were written for older readers, was lost in the translation to a five minute TV program.

Cribbins is currently making an audiobook of the Wombles novels for release in 2012 but until then this is a welcome foretaste of what is to come.
on 12 May 2012
My daughter (Just 7) loves books (Fairies/Famous 5/Pets etc) and cd stories. She has most of them! I saw the Wombles online & thought I'd give it a go! To tell the truth I thought if she didn't like it I'd reminisce ;) But, Thankfully she loves it, I had to actually ask her to put a different CD in after 2 weeks of constant play! ( I told her it'd wear out!!)
on 6 March 2012
For the young or young at heart, the Womble stories are a nostalgic reminder for those who remember them (me but I was very young...). I use them as a sleep aid for my daughter, instead of a dvd. She falls to sleep a lot easier listening to the stories. If you love the Wombles then give it a go.
on 16 February 2013
For anyone who watched the TV show when they were children this CD is a must. My 5 year old listens to it most nights and absolutely loves it. He's transported to Wimbledon Common by the fabulous voice of Bernard Cribbins, it is just delightful.
on 23 August 2013
I bought this to listen to in the car on a long journey with my children, and we all enjoyed the stories. I'd forgotten how brilliant Bernard Cribbins was at the Wombles' voices, and my children loved the fact that they see him on TV.
on 3 April 2012
This cd is brilliant Bernard Cribbins voice is calming and the stories are interesting enough for my 7 & 5 year old to enjoy. They have heard this tape about 40 times now and still like it at bedtime.
on 30 May 2013
Son 4 and daughter 7 both enjoy these stories. They were both desperate to see what the wombles looked like so also ended up with DVD. Enchanting stories and voice as read by Bernard Cribbins.
on 8 September 2013
Bernard Cribbens really is the greatest story teller of all time. Would highly recommend for anyone who loved the series as a child as well as those who never saw it.
on 25 January 2013
I was pleased with how fast it arived. Our doughter loves lisioning too the storys at bed time. It's great value and at a good price well worth it.
on 7 December 2015
My kids *12 and 8, love this and listen to it sometimes for a bedtime story. Sadly, the Womble theme song is not on the CD