Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 8 August 2013
I enjoyed this CD on a long car journey, but it is not the same without Patricia Routledge. Still it beats the radio which gets annoying after a while.
I can recommend this for anybody else on a long trip but wouldn't want to sit and listen to it at home.
on 8 January 2011
This was the Radio Four Christmas treat and I listened to every episode. Delighted to keep up with the bickerings of Vera and Irene. But Where is Patricia Routlegde. Ann Reid is very good, and the voice and accent are fine, but I miss the sauciness and self satisfied confidence of the original actress. Still, good to be back with the Great Shag clan, the ever extending family and touched by the new edge of realism in the health subplot and its affects on mother and daughter dynamics. This is already on my Amazon birthday list for family to take note.
on 26 April 2011
I have been a fan of the series since its inception, and like all fans, have grown fond of the Great Shag clan and its extended family. But just as (for me) Joan Hickson and David Suchet are the quintessential 'Miss Marple' and 'Poirot', likewise Patricia Routledge IS 'Vera Small'. Anne Reid does an adequate job, but lacks the depth and dimension Routledge has always given the role. Reid delivers her lines without the up-and-down emotional levels we've come to associate with 'Vera', almost as if the character is too tired to expend emotional energy any longer. While it's in keeping with her characterisation of 'Vera' in the deplorable TV version of this delightful series (really, 'Irene' and 'Karen' chasing each other around the yard with Super-Soaker Squirt Guns???), she is far less engaging than the redoubtable Ms. Routledge. Unfortunately this change in actresses has left me less of a fan, and nowhere near as eager for the next installment. Bring back Patricia Routledge, PLEASE!!!!
on 1 February 2011
Like another reviewer I felt that this offering was considerably weaker than previous episodes. The plot seemed thin and far less humourous, not helped by the loss of Patricia Routledge playing Vera. Ann Reid is a fine actress but her voice didn't seem to have captured the image of Vera Small that Patricia had made her own. Maybe series 11 is one series too far?
on 3 June 2011
As other reviewers have commented although this is still the same wit that we have come to love and enjoy, and although I came to enjoy Ann Reid on the less than perfect TV adaptation, I miss Patricia Routledge!

Nevertheless, I really do enjoy this whole series and now have them all on my ipod in a Playlist and recently listened to all eleven consecutively!!!

This series epitomises all that is best from British humour and the subtly and wit that can be derived from the nuances of tone and language and best of all from malapropisms! I think they are FABULOUS!
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2011
I have the first ten series of Ladies of Letters and have to say that this is the weakest to date.

I get the feeling that the writers have run out of steam and ideas.

The loss of Patricia Routledge is not as catastrophic as I feared it might be - though I do miss her wonderful voice. Anne Reid does very well to capture the essence of the character but she seems to be doing a very good impersonation rather than really becoming the person we have come to know and love.

The plot is quite downbeat - brave for a Christmas series and so the humour is more restrained than some series. I fear that they should have stopped a couple of years ago - much as I love it, it feels too strained now to be as wonderful as the first years of Vera and Irene.

This is one for real fans only - certainly not the place for beginners to join the story.
on 13 February 2011
Hilarious and well up to the usual standard of the Ladies of Letters audio series. Highly recommend this - I listen to it while doing my housework, and it certainly makes the dusting less boring! Anne Reid is a worthy successor to Patricia Routledge as Vera. Much more fun than the TV series.
on 26 January 2014
I was in two minds about buying this as the original recordings were superlative, the interaction between Prunella Scales and Patricia Routledge as Irene and Vera was perfect. However, if we have to have a new Vera, Anne Reid is the ideal person to take it on. I was soon lost in the mad world of the Spencers and Smalls, the story is as good as ever with its blend of comedy and tragedy. If you're a committed Ladies of Letters fan this won't disappoint, and if you come to this one fresh it should give you the taste to go back to the beginning of this friendship/battle of wills
on 14 November 2016
I love this series and have purchased every single CD that BBC Radio has produced; once again, Vera and Irene continue their witty and often understated dialogue by various channels, and once again it is BBC radio comedy at its best.
One caveat - Prunella Scales is, of course, brilliant as always, and Anne Reid does a sterling job reprising her TV role, but I'm afraid I really, really miss Patricia Routledge, she is pretty much irreplaceable.
on 20 April 2012
I know some listeners felt that Anne Reid ws not as good as patricia, but i disagree, i didn't feel it lost any of its appeal for that at all. I did feel that it had lost something though, but that was more about the writing, i didn't laugh out loud so much with this as i did the others. Worth lisenting to but i wonder if this series has got tired?