on 21 September 2010
These short 30min (approx) dramatisations of Sherlock Holmes are brilliant. I hope the BBC have the archives of the other stories recorded by Hobbs and Shelley and make them into CDs as well. Definitely the best Holmes around.
on 18 March 2011
Carleton Hobbs and Norman Shelley are quite simply the best radio Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. All others pale in comparison. More recent characterisations of Holmes are far too user friendly and matey. Hobb's Holmes is cold and calculating, and rather like my tutors from the early fifties, far from cuddly. What's more, the stories are not so padded out as later adaptations, they were after all, with exceptions, written as short stories.
The Carleton Hobbs Sherlock Holmes Collection

12 full cast dramatizations starring Carlton Hobbs
These dramatizations were first broadcast in the 60’s and are of a convenient length of averaging 28 mins each.
For those who like the traditional Sherlock Holme’s format, these are perfect, without sounding too dated. The reproduction is good and a nice added touch is a very short antidote as a preface to each episode concerning either the story or the cast.
Having enjoyed the Basil Rathbourne series, I would highly recommend Carlton Hobbs as Sherlock Holmes. It was also great to hear some different Holmes' stories as in this collection in comparison to the usual ones that you get. Included in the suite of tales are: 'A Scandal in Bohemia', where we are introduced to the softer side of Sherlock Holmes when he first encounters Irene Hobbs, and where he indicates that he is capable of love; 'The Red-Headed League' is an unusual story where an advertisement for red headed men only is placed into copy of the Encyclopaedia Britannica; 'The Speckled Band' is supposed to be Conan Doyle’s personal favourite story; and of course tha almost infamous (it caused a riot when it came out) 'The Final Problem' where Holmes reportedly meets his death with an encounter with Moriarty high above the Reichenbach Falls in Switzerland.

5/5 stars and highly recommended
on 8 July 2014
Of all the actors to play the parts of Holmes and Watson, I think Carleton Hobbs and Norman Shelley did it best. I heard them first on tapes which my Dad used to keep me and my brother quiet on long car journeys, so I bought these as I no longer have a cassette player on which to listen to them.

The reproduction is excellent, though they have been edited down slightly so as to fit two plays to a disc, something that the tapes didn't suffer from. While they're necessarily abridged from the original short stories, it's a shame to miss out on some of the details as they are very well performed.

My only other criticism is the little introductions by Nicholas Utechin can be a little hit-and-miss. Some contain interesting facts about the original broadcasts, other just quote lines from the play which you'll hear again only a few minutes later. But they are short and can be easily skipped. Though I'd much rather they'd passed on them entirely and kept more of the original material in.
on 3 July 2013
Im old enough to remember this series on the radio, I always enjoyed it, sadly the theme tune is missing from these discs. The stories are great just as I recall. Sadly the discs have something wrong with the discs, towards the end of them they become distorted, I did rory this to the provider who immediately offered a refund, but this is not what I wanted, I have asked them to replace the discs, I have not heard back.
on 8 August 2012
Thoroughly enjoyed listening to one of the stories on a tedious journey on the M25. What better way to pass the time, quality excellent and very good story
on 12 November 2014
Nostalgia trip. Carlton Hobbs is my favourite Sherlock. The acting and sound effects are dated but add to the charm and take me back to my boyhood.
on 22 March 2015
Carleton Hobbs was a brilliant SH, his inflexions were genius, a must for true fans of Conan Doyle
on 19 July 2015
Brilliant - But the opening theme music which was so good was missing?
on 21 December 2015