on 25 March 2010
I have always enjoyed the Doctor Who genre, and some of the most recent books have been incredibly inventive with ideas and plot to please everyone.

This is the weakest I've yet read. By half way through, I was gritting my teeth, hoping it would get better. It didn't.

Let me explain. Firstly the plot fails to work: the whole point of escapism is surely the way an author creates an atmosphere to make us believe the unbelievable. This tale always remained unbelievable. It's so badly written. At several points, the reader has to go back a page or so to find out why a character has moved.

Which brings us to the characters -- or lack of. David Tennant as the Doctor is a gift to any author. It is therefore almost incredible that this Doctor is dull. The wisecracks are weak, the action is muted. The wit isn't. This depiction of Martha is even more boring. The pirates are badgers, yet all are without any characterisation: they shout, grunt, and shoot with an accompanying pink light; that's it. The other main character, Mrs Winkworth, is almost an octopus with tentacles and an annoying, patronising manner. Surely a gift to any author, but again she is flavourless and (ultimately) dull. At no point did any of these characters actually come alive.

So, I'm afraid, I've wasted several hours of my life. What a shame.
on 27 January 2008
This is probably the funniest Doctor Who that I have read to date (and I have read most of them). Admittedly it is cheesy and corny in places but it all ties in with the humor which is rhythmic thoughout.
on 11 March 2008
Rollicking good fun. The Doctor's abstracted, twinkly personality is particularly nicely drawn. I couldn't help thinking Harry Hill would turn up as the badger pirate-in-chief, and we all know a Mrs Wingsworth. Messing around with time can be tiresome, but the narrative keeps you guessing. Vivid descriptions and suitably barmy humour reflecting a quirkily individual mind-set.
on 7 October 2013
took some doing to get through it, listen with an open mind and you'll enjoy it as a modern tale.