Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 June 2016
I'll start off by saying I really enjoyed Slated. I have a particular love for the YA sci-fi genre and I appreciated finding this little gem.

Kyla has been 'slated' meaning she's had her memory wiped mandatorily by the government, who are giving her a second chance to behave herself. She's assigned to a family and given a Levo; a device that monitors her emotions and stops her from causing harm to anyone/thing. She makes friends and enemies, and then finds herself unwillingly tangled in a dystopian political game because she can somehow remember who she was before she was slated.

I find Kyla to be a really interesting character, and I've not read anything before where the main character has memory loss. I enjoyed the ride, learning with Kyla as she grappled with the gaps in her memory. The pace was great for this, and we learn with her as her mind slowly remembers or fills in the blanks.

Mostly, I love a good world I can sink my teeth into. We learn about the futuristic London as Kyla does, and Terry teases us expertly by explaining a little at a time. The coalition government is an interesting addition, and I liked this tie to politics that shaped the world. I found it different in comparison to the usual President or King that seized power purely for the heck of it. I love a well structured world that has rules and consequences, and I thought this ticked those boxes exceptionally well.

The book was incredibly easy to read. I know that this series is set well within the YA genre, but I've read others that were perhaps a little better constructed writing wise. That's not to say Terry is bad by any mean - in fact, she's nailed the voice of a 16 year old. But I would have liked to see a little more variance in the writing. Sentences are quite short and choppy as we follow Kyla's thought processes, and whilst this is a great tool for building tension and getting us into her head, I would have liked a little more balance with some longer, flowy descriptions. Due to this style of writing I'd probably say the book is aimed at 13/14year olds as opposed to the later teens.

I will definitely be completing the series. Terry has done a superb job setting up the next book. We had some resolution for Kyla (which I feel is so important when writing a trilogy) but she's more determined than ever, and I want to find out what happens next.
on 2 October 2013
Slated is based in futuristic London. Criminals under the age of 16 are slated. This means that their memories are erased and they're given another chance to be a model citizen. Being a model citizen means being obedient and not questioning what the government are doing. Our protagonist Kyla, has been slated. She has a new family, a new school and the opportunity to become a model citizen. However, Kyla is different, she remembers parts of her old life and wonders why. Kyla wants to find out the truth of her life before she was slated, but this is a dangerous path to choose.

I thought Slated was a good dystopian book. I absolutely loved the idea of having a Levo. A levo is something the Slated have to wear on their wrist that monitors their happiness level. The ideal happiness level is 5/6. When it drops below 3 it starts to become dangerous, with extreme moods like anger and sadness their levels will drop to 2 which can cause blackouts and death. The reason why they do blackout when the level gets that low is because then they are prevented from doing themselves or society harm. You might think it would be easier to just take off the Levo, but no...doing this would cause them extreme pain and may cause them to have seizures.

There were plenty of characters to get your head around, but all of them were incredibly well developed. I either loved or hated them. Each character had something interesting about them. They weren't two dimensional characters. Kyla was a fantastic character. I loved how strong she was despite what had happened to her. I didn't quite believe her relationship with Ben. He wasn't a bad character, I think I just imagined Kyla with someone a little more feisty.

Slated is a fast paced, tense read. It's not predictable, but it's not particularly action packed. I think it has a suitable amount of action, leaving the reader hungry for the sequel, where I'm sure things are going to get even harder for Kyla!
on 1 April 2017
Brilliant read
on 19 May 2016
This book is incredible, the way that you just get so wrapped up in the main characters kyla's emotions and feelings and actions, can wait to read fractured and I would recommend this to anyone and everyone.
on 29 May 2012
After a heart-pounding, poetic prologue we are introduced to Kyla, a slight, wispy blond-haired sixteen-year-old who has been 'Slated!'
Given a second chance, her slate wiped clean by the Central Coalition, Kyla - a perceived criminal of the state - is reborn into her sixteen year old body with no memories. Processed and released from the nightmarish New London Hospital out of the care of the sinister, Dr Lysander and into the arms of her new family - Mum, Dad and sister, Amy - she is given a final chance to exist in this world.
Kyla is constantly monitored and her emotions recorded on a 1-10 scale by a Levo on her wrist - where 10 is utter joy, 5-6 is normal but less than 3 means a ticket to la-la land, seizures and a zapped brain.

As she settles into her new existence, Kyla has a burning desire to fill her blank mind. She must learn simple tasks again and as she does she discover natural skills and abilities from her past; a passion for owls and art, driving, running and of course boys! Now they can really mess up your levels!
Haunted by cruel flashbacks, Kyla breaks down the walls inside her mind as she searches for her true self. As she deals with Slater Haters, terrorists and sinister organisations, Kyla knows that every move she makes could be her last.

This is a fantastic dystopian, sci-fi concept which is superbly paced and written very much 'in the moment.' Even throughout passages of wonderful stillness, you feel that Kyla is always running.
There's a great set up for the sequel, Fractured, which is already on my radar! Great stuff!
on 31 May 2012
Slated in my opinion is a much more worthy successor to the Hunger Games audience than all those books cluttering the shelves that claim on their covers, 'if you loved the hunger games...' and ripping off the premise or the world of Suzanne Collins' novels.

Slated, on the other hand, takes place in a very different world, a world much like a nearby fractured future of our own. Kyla can't remember her past, or what crime she committed that led to her slating, a process designed to give criminals a second chance by wiping their memories and their personalities and letting them start over with a blank slate. Yet there is something different about Kyla, something that differentiates her from the other Slateds around her. That makes her sad and anxious when they are happy, that lets her get angry when she should be placid.

This world is full of traps and pitfalls for a Slated who isn't quite right, doesn't quite conform, and Kyla is desperate to avoid them. But nothing is as it seems, and as Kyla tries to play by the rules, she finds herself in more and more trouble. Could she be remembering something of her past? That should be impossible. Or is something even more disturbing going on?

I really enjoyed Kyla as a narrator, despite/because of al her faults and confusions. Learning about this world through the eyes of someone who's got about as much experience and knowledge as an infant works brilliantly for the narrative as well as for the development of Kyla's character. In some ways the book reminded me a lot of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, and the crucial question it posed: who are we, as people, if not the sum of our memories and experiences? Is there some inherent 'us' that shines through, not matter what?

I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good story about identity, regimented distopian societies, keen science fiction readers - just about anyone, really. Read on...
11 Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A young adult dystopian science fiction novel. It's the first in a series. And unlike most of this kind of thing it's not set post the collapse of civilisation, it's set in a convincingly near future Britain.

Ideal reading age would probably be thirteen and up. Although it is good enough to be enjoyed by older readers as well.

It runs for four hundred and thirty nine pages, and is divided into fifty one chapters plus a prologue.

And being the first novel in a series does mean that it ends on something of a cliffhanger.

The main character, who narrates the whole thing in the first person present tense, is a teenage girl called Kyla. At the start of the book - after the prologue which describes something else - she's just about to be discharged from hospital into the care of her family. After being slated.

Slating is a technique which allows for memories to be erased and a personality replaced with a different one.

In this world, it's the way terrorists are treated.

Or so those who have been slated are told. Since they naturally have no memories of their previous lives.

And their family who they are going into the care of are not therefore their original family.

Although the opening doesn't immediately make all the details of this clear, because it focuses on how Kyla is adjusting to things, it's very easy to get into and a very readable book from the off. She has to get used to simple things that we take for granted all over again, such as how sharp knives can be if you don't hold them properly.

The story then follows Kyla as she adjusts to her new family and new life and the new people she meets in group therapy and then school. But Kyla seems to be a little different to other slated. And this is a world where people can disappear without a trace and never be seen or talked about again. All of which could spell danger for her....

Although there's not of incident for the bulk of the book it's a great read because the prose is very good and clear and the mystery of Kyla's world, plus the slow unveiling of the truth, keep you turning the pages desperate to know what will happen next. There is a great and compelling sense of threat and paranoia throughout, and that does also grab you.

This being the start of a series does mean all the answers don't come immediately, and the last third of the book focuses more on character interaction than that. But the ending is quite superb and really makes you desperate to know what will happen next.

So all in all a very good start to what should be a compelling new series.
on 18 May 2017
Cbxbsjd dhd dbd dbd xxbx xbd xbd dbd xbd xbx xnx xnx xnxx bx x x x x x x
on 19 October 2016
Dystopian novels are pretty much formulaic. It's set way in the future (or past) with a slight twist: the government regime has been changed. A definition of a dystopian novel is that the setting is a society that has an illusion of a perfect utopian world. Most dystopian works present a world in which oppressive societal control and the illusion of a perfect society are maintained.

I find dystopian novels intriguing. It's interesting to see how the author sees what the world will be like in that period of time and it's interesting to see how that perception differs from author to author.

Kyla’s memory has been erased, her personality wiped blank, her memories lost for ever.

She’s been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?

The last dystopian novel I read was Broken Sky by L.A Weatherly, and after reading about such an incredible world, I've convinced myself that it's going to be hard for any other dystopian book to top it.

Slated came close to being as good as Broken Sky but you know what stopped it? The ending. Broken Sky had this crazy cliffhanger that literally made me throw the book across the room and stare at a wall for half an hour. The ending of Slated was a slight disappointment. If I didn't have all three books already and I had to wait a year for the second book to come out, I wouldn't be that bothered by waiting.

Another thing that bothered me about this book is the character of Wayne Best. He was disgusting and certainly made an impression on me but I didn't really see the point of him. He is a 'Slater Hater', but there is only him and one other character that properly voices their thoughts about hating Slated people and thinking they are outsiders. If Teri had incorporated a group of 'Slater Haters' into the book, then Wayne's presence would have had more of a point. But because there was only one person who jeered at Kyla throughout the whole book, it seemed a bit silly that he even existed.

"It is one thing to ask questions; what do you do with the answers?"
- Teri Terry, Slated

The premise of the book is incredible though. It's set in the U.K, 2054. Whilst scientists were trying to find a cure for autism in the brain, they accidently erased memories. After they realised what they had done, they decided to bring in what is called 'slating.' I don't want to give too much away about the idea of slating, because it is spoken about in depth during the book and is explored by Kyla.

I also loved the idea of the Levo's, which is a device that is strapped to the Slateds wrists' and monitors their brain activity from 0-10, 10 being pure happiness. If your number starts to drop below four, then the Levo starts to vibrate and you start to black out. The Levo also detects if you're starting to get angry. If you start to get angry, the Levo knocks you out. I think it's a brilliant idea for a dystopian device and something that I haven't seen before in dystopian novels.

The characters were also brilliantly written. I loved the character development of 'Mum' and her relationship with Kyla and I also liked the introduction of characters such as Aiden and Mac and the effect of their beliefs on other characters.

Slated is a good book, it's a good dystopian and Terry has created a world that is frightening. The ending wasn't as good as it could have been but I will be marathoning this series.

Side note: Slated was published in 2012 and half way through the book there is a line that says "when the UK withdrew from the EU and closed borders, there was a period when things did go pretty crazy." I'm sorry, but did Terry just predict Brexit?! When I read this, I told my Mom and she couldn't believe it either.

thebibliophilegirluk.blogspot.com
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are a great many young adult novels about dystopian futures, and fortunately this is one of the better ones. The world that Kyla inhabits is one where young people who are criminals can be Slated - which involves having their minds completely wiped so that they can start again with a foster family. Kyla is one of the Slated, and we meet her as she starts to reintegrate into society. But starting a new life isn't easy, and there's something about Kyla that isn't quite like the other Slateds, something that could be dangerous...

The story is cleverly developed, with various new mysteries arising as it progresses. The more we learn about Kyla's past and present, the more questions we have, and the plot takes some unexpected turns and plants tantalising clues along the way. There is also a building sense of dread as events become more and more sinister. It's an intriguing, gripping story that makes you constantly curious about what will happen next. The characters are well developed too, even the minor ones, and it's easy to come to care about all of them. I really enjoyed the book and think that most teenagers would also like it; there's danger, mystery, romance, philosophical questions, a smidge of science fiction, and the worrying sense that similar things could really happen in the future.

There are a couple of reasons why I couldn't give this book five stars though. Firstly, it's very much written as the first of a series, and as such the ending is not particularly satisfying. Secondly, I found the writing style to be a little awkward. A lot of the dialogue is very stilted, and the characters far too often use expressions like 'I am', 'I would', 'He is' etc when it would sound far more natural to use the contracted version - 'I'm', 'I'd', 'He's', etc. The unnatural formality to the language is constantly jarring and it took away from my enjoyment. These problems mean that for me, the book doesn't quite match up to similar novels, such as Starters, which features similar themes but is written in an easier style. Nevertheless, this is still a great story and I recommend it.