on 12 May 2014
I bought the set for my son when he was 10. He read a few but probably less than half of these. I read a similar number of them.
They are short and easy to read so anything that makes Shakespeare accessible is good
but
I think these are better for younger readers because for my son at ten they seemed too simplistic, I will introduce my younger children to them at about 7 or 8.
For me as an adult who loves Shakespeare's slapstick comedies I was disappointed that these seemed to lack a lot of the very things that are best in the originals - either parts of the story or some of the humour - perhaps inevitable in a very short abridged version.
Also, I found that in places the writing did not flow very smoothly.
on 23 November 2017
Extremely fun and informative for introducing Shakespeare to children in a fun, but not too young, way. Not in the least bit heavy reading. Excellent idea to at least give children a background knowledge.
on 9 May 2017
My 9 year old grandson is loving the "very manageable" books in this collection. He didn't put A Midsummer Night's Dream down at all!
on 9 May 2017
I wanted to increase my knowledge of Shakespeare's stories and characters the easy, lazy, way! Success. Point me in the direction of the nearest pub quiz. . .
on 9 October 2017
My 9 year old daughter loves these stories. We did do them very easy to read and follow.
on 19 February 2018
I bought this for my 10 year old to give her a head start into secondary school, but my older daughter (14)has taken a peak and got some good points from it too.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 April 2014
Fantastic value for 16 books. Perfect for my little girl who 7 and is obsessed with Shakespeare! She has no trouble reading these books and they are specially adapted for children to read. Very easy for children to understand. Just brilliant. Definitely a recommended read.
on 29 March 2018
Great set of books for young readers, gives a brief overview of Shakespeare theatre as well as a useful and thoughtful summary of characters and plots. A really great set of books
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 November 2017
Our non-nerdy 8 year old prefered Shakespeare to his normal bed time story last night. I know it might never happen again.......
on 4 August 2017
These books are a great way to familiarise yourself with the original works. My 11 year old daughter has enjoyed reading them. Very well written .