Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 April 2017
Love the book and it has the new epilogue, although it was a little scuffed, which was disappointing.
on 9 November 2014
as a present for my niece this hit the spot
on 8 February 2014
This book is really cool...a great follow up from the previous one. I would deffo recommend reading this book to anyone!! :)
on 7 May 2013
I started the series as a bit of light reading and it kept my interest quite well. However,as soon as it got a little bit of excitement going, it was all ruined. I could forgive the first book for making the mission a 'test' but to happen twice in a row is for one, too predictable and two generally bad writing. Jk Rowling did not finish Harry potter as 'voldermort was just a figment of Harry's imagination' did she?
on 19 September 2014
not bad
on 24 December 2014
was a present for someone, I can't really comment
on 27 March 2015
Not seen , as a gift.
on 2 August 2016
After a while the story line becomes predictable and it was read in a few hours. Would recommend for a bit of light reading however it isn't a book that 'takes you to another place' or is written extremely well.
on 30 May 2009
Cameron Morgan attends the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women where, unknown to the outside world, she is training to be a spy. She first stole our hearts in Ally Carter's I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU, BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU. Ms. Carter's second novel, CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO SPY, is a fast-paced Gallagher Girls sequel that you won't be able to put down.

In the first novel, Cammie falls for Josh, a regular boy from the village who crashes her final exam. CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO SPY begins as Cammie is debriefed about her ex-boyfriend, aka, The Subject. She wonders if he even remembers her, if she'll ever see him again, or if she even wants to. She promises her mother, the headmistress of Gallagher, that she's finished with lying and sneaking around, unless under cover, of course, and that she'll never let a boy compromise her judgment again. Ready to focus on her classes, it's an easy promise to make. But it's not long before Cammie realizes how difficult that promise will be to keep.

She overhears her mother tell her Covert Operations teacher, "Cammie doesn't know anything." They discuss something called Blackthorne. Her mother tells the girls of the academy that the East Wing is closed due to contamination by fumes from the chemistry labs. But Cammie knows there's no way that's possible. "There is no ventilation access from the chem labs to the East Wing," she says.

Cammie and her friends are forced to launch their own covert operation to discover more about the fifteen male spies who have moved in as guests of the academy. She wonders why she is continually paired with Zach, and how he knows so much about her and the secret passages within the academy. When the academy's security is breached, knowing who you can trust becomes a matter of life and death.

If you haven't read Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls novels, you are seriously missing out on a fabulous experience. CROSS YOUR HEART AND HOPE TO SPY was every bit as good as Ms. Carter's first Gallagher Girls novel. Her third book, DON'T JUDGE A GIRL BY HER COVER, is due to be released in June. I'm putting in a Pre-Order and hoping that I'll see these books on the big screen.

Reviewed by: Cana Rensberger
on 3 June 2013
WARNING: May contain spoilers for those who have not yet read I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You.

It's the start of a new semester at Gallagher Academy and Cammie is trying to start afresh. After the disaster at the end of I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You when her non-spy boyfriend, Josh, attempted to 'save' her whilst she was in the middle of a cover operations test, she's got to regain the trust of her teachers and her fellow classmates and try to stop thinking about Josh. When she arrives back at school; however, she starts to notice some odd things. For one, an entire corridor of the school has been 'locked', something unheard of at Gallagher Academy given that every single student knows how to pick a lock anyway. Cammie and her friends are determined to uncover the secret that the headmistress, also Cammie's mother, is hiding and what plans are about to be unveiled in the new locked corridor. Cammie's Josh drama from the previous semester convinced those in charge of spy training that although the girls have the highest IQs in the country, they don't know a thing about boys and they're going to do something about it.

I really loved I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You (man, that is long) but it took me quite a long time to get into it so I wasn't sure what to expect from Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy. I whizzed through this book in one sitting and I love that these books are so easy to fly through in a few hours. Book 2 in this series is definitely better than book 1 in my opinion. The pace is a lot faster and the plot was far more interesting with more twists and turns along the way, especially towards the end. I thought that this was going to a really predictable book, but actually, the ending turned out slightly different to what I had imagined which is a plus for a YA book.

As with book 1, these books aren't really about the romance, but more about the spying and Cammie Morgan, the main character. Although the plot was far more interesting in this one, I still found that the best thing about this book was not the story line, but the character of Cammie. In book 1, I didn't think that we got to see much of Cammie's love interest, Josh, at all and so I never really connected much with his character, but things are different in Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy. The main boy of interest is Zach and there just seemed to be so much more to him than Josh. I probably think this because Zach is much more my type - mysterious, intelligent, possible dark side, whereas Josh is just a bit of a marshmallow all round. Zach and Cammie interact a lot more than Josh and Cammie did which makes it easier to visualise and root for their relationship. That said, I was never really sure if we were supposed to be rooting for Zach or not and I didn't really decide how I felt about him until the very last page, but it was good that this book kept me on my toes.

Cammie hasn't really changed all that much since book one, except that she is slightly less naive and clueless about life. This was definitely a plus because although we miss out on some comedy, her naivity was starting to grate on me by the end of book one. I like that Cammie is a character who doesn't get completely absorbed by just one thing, usually boys, but has time to care about her family, her friends, her school work, and boys. I think Cammie's character was stronger in book two and I hope that she continues to develop throughout the rest of the series.

Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy had a pretty similar format to I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You, in fact, you didn't really need to read the first book at all in order to understand this one as it's pretty self explanatory and in my opinion, there are few references to the first book. Personally, I thought that book two was far better than book one in terms of plot and character. I'm still not really sure what to expect from book three, given that books one and two could basically be two standalone novels. Either way, I'm really excited to read it because I absolutely loved Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy!