Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

Rose and the Lost Princess: Book 2
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 5 April 2015
This is the second volume of the four volume "Rose" set that has been a huge hit in the U.K. The U.K. copies have been hard to find, even used, in the U.S. and most used copies ship from the U.K.. Notably, this U.S. edition will be coming out in a few months, (April 1). It will be nice for American readers to have a readily available edition.

It's easy to see why this "Rose" series has been such a hit. There are lots of young reader books out there right now that feature a spunky orphan heroine discovering that she has special, maybe magical, abilities. Many of them are quite good, but while they observe all of the conventions they may not really catch fire or truly engage the reader. The Rose books, though, feature a strong heroine, appealing secondary characters, tight plots, a plausible magical world, and a general good humor and energy that make them very easy to recommend.

Ms. Webb devoted a lot of energy and a big part of the beginning of the first book to introducing us to Rose and getting us invested in her progress and her success. Think of a magical "Great Expectations", but a kinder, gentler and all around more good humored version. This second volume starts with a handy recap of Rose's origins and progress. Not distracted, as others at the orphanage often were, by dreams of being adopted by a wealthy family, Rose is content to strive for a life of independence and hard work, but on her own terms. She is practical and realistic, but still girlish and optimistic. We see that in her interactions with others, her dealings with adults, and her extended inner monologues. We get to know and like and admire Rose. And Ms. Webb earns that by writing clearly and creatively about her heroine. Rose is allowed to display a range of emotions, from vulnerable to tough and tart, which just makes her more endearing.

Once the adventure begins, (the Princess is missing), and Rose is called to action, the plot develops briskly and cleanly and the resolution is satisfying, if a bit pat. Since we're talking about magical kids in a book for middle graders I don't quite see the point of quibbling over plot holes.

The upshot is that this a carefully written, engaging, imaginative growing up tale with magic, a smart-mouth talking cat, suspense, a fine supporting cast and a winning and wise heroine. The charm of the first book continues through the series, which is very good news indeed. What a nice find.

Please note that I received a free advance ecopy of the upcoming U.S. edition of this book in exchange for a candid review. Apart from that I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.
on 30 October 2012
The "Rose Series" is about magic and fun action packed magical adventures.

And the 2nd exciting adventure, Rose and the Lost Princess, is exactly what it is! Glittery sparkly new adventures of tracking down the princess of London who has been stolen... And the magician's of the town are being accused! It is up to Rose, Freddie, Gus & Mr Fountain to solve the mystery!

This 2nd book of the Rose series is incredibly exciting and action packed. Since the first book "Rose" was just about being an orphan and then getting a job as a waitress at the magician towers of the Fountain home and then realizing Rose has the magic in her too. It wasn't very fun. But now she is an apprentice for Mr Fountain in this 2nd book, and now she has to find out who has stolen the princess, it gets more interesting!

I did not get the ending of the book. It's a weird ending. But I guess that's what the 3rd and 4th book of the Rose series are all about. I cannot wait to get to that book and I am on The Magician's Mask now.

Holly Webb is a fantastic writer with a great imagination. I could never think up a story like this! Out of all I give this book 5/5, even if I didn't get the ending! I recommend it to everyone who is a fan of either Fairies, Magic, or anything pixie dust related! ☺
on 30 July 2010
This book was a really good read. I couldn't put it down. I have asked my Mum to order the next book of Rose's adventures. I would recommend it to anyone, especially for girls. I am 10 and a half
on 17 March 2010
I am 8 and I love this book. You don't have to read the first one first and i read this one first. A bit about this....
Rose is an apprentice in the Fountain household but when Princess Jane disappears mysteriously and then returns Rose is asked to be her secret guard. Then something terrible happens and some powerful magic is used...
I can't tell you any more as that will be giving it away. You have to read it yourself.
I LOVED THIS BOOK! Get it now!
on 6 April 2011
Rose and the Lost Princess is a thoroughly good read. The author (Holly Webb) has created a story that is magic, thrill and adventures all rolled into one.
The main characters of this book are: Rose, Mr Fountain, Gus (Mr Fountain's talking cat), Princess Jane, and Freddie. The story line is magical, gripping, and downright wonderful. In the book, Rose is just getting used to a life of half servant girl, and half magicians apprentice, when the Princess Jane is mysteriously caught up with some evil magic; throwing the whole country into suspicion of magicians. The king decides that he needs to protect Jane, so he assigns Rose to be Jane's personal bodyguard. Unfortunately, Jane gets kidnapped. Rose has to step into her place, to save England. However, malicious magicians want to hurt her. Can she save the country, and, most importantly, stay alive? Read the book to find out!
Overall, I think that Rose and the Lost Princess is an exceedingly good book, especially if you've read the first book in the series, Rose. I would recommend it to girls aged 10-12. Buy this book now, it's awesome!

Frankie
on 13 January 2011
In this book, Rose has become apprentice to the king's Chief Magician - and she can't quite believe it! It seems that only Rose can help find the king's missing daughter -but can she find her before it is too late?Each book in the series does stand alone, as previous developments are described. However, like any series, the reader gains more involvement by starting at the beginning and really getting involved with the characters, who develop and deepen as the series goes on. The eye-catching covers mean girls will want to add every volume to their set.

Read the next two in the series: Rose and the Magician's Mask Rose and the Silver Ghost
on 29 September 2013
Another great read by Holly web i loved it coukdnt put it down in the evenings i would ask anyone in the house to read with me it was quit scary but if you have seen or was or is reading HARRY POTTER then you can be a champion and read this book me and my mum and sisters loved the whole series.
a year6 girl (in less than a day is going to be a thrilling read)
on 14 December 2010
Part of a series of 4. This is the second one and my daughter couldn't wait to get her hands on it. Loving the series. Lots of pages so wont be finished in one day and the story line is going down a treat. Cannot wait for next part.
on 5 September 2016
I read this to my daughter. Book one was great too. I really enjoyed the stories with magic and twists and turns. Much more interesting than the books I normally read to my kids. I loved it. Very magical and beautifully written.
on 12 July 2015
I loved this book and this is the second time I have read it and I recommend it for all ages it is timeless story which hooks everyone and makes everyone want to finish all the series