Customer reviews

on 14 November 2015
I'm a bit late to the Keris Stainton love-in, but I'm making up for a slow start by binge-reading all her books now!

Della says OMG! was Keris' debut novel and was first released in 2010, and that does show in some of the pop culture references (although as a McFly fan, I don't know how ANYONE could think having It's All About You as a ringtone would be embarrassing!). I loved the plot - as a diarist during my teen years I'd have been mortified at the thought of someone taking my diary - and with the continual rise in the use of (and bullying over) social media, the themes are powerful and believable.

Della's relationship with her friend Maddy and love-interest Dan were the highlights of this book for me, and Stainton conveys the intense emotions of teen relationships perfectly and the sexual energy as Della and Dan's relationship progresses was both highly charged and realistic for the target audience.

I devoured this book and although I preferred Keris Stainton's latest YA release Counting Stars, Della says OMG! is a young adult novel with plenty of oomph. It's got romance, mystery and a wonderful cast of characters (Della's parents - fabulous!) and I can see why this book is still gaining new readers almost six years after first hitting the shelves.

I'd love to know what happened next for these characters, especially the likeable Della!
on 14 December 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book which didn’t take long to read at all. It was a perfect pick me up.

Keris Stainton has really portrayed teenagers perfectly. I thought Della was an incredibly relatable character. She felt real. Her thought processes were definitely thoughts that ran through my mind when I was a teenager. I loved her relationship with others. Her relationship with her older sister was honest and I loved how odd her parents were. I also thought Della’s relationship with Dan was cute and believable. I began to think I knew how the story was going to end, but I was wrong. I love that.

If I was to be really critical, I would’ve liked more mystery in the story, but that doesn’t affect my opinion of the book. I thought it was a well written, relatable, funny story which didn’t take long to read at all.
on 23 April 2010
OMG! What can I say? This book was absolutely the best 2 nights I've spent in bed recently! Meg Cabot is right when she affirms: "It's a delicious treat you'll want to eat up in a single bite!".
The eponymous Della is a wonderfully rounded, engaging, believable girl with all the dreams and anxieties that accompany any teenager. With her liberal-minded parents (her Dad is a scream) and her older sister jetting off to the States, Della is delighted when the gorgeous Dan, whom she has lusted after since he gave her some crayons aged four, finally asks her out.

But that's when the madness starts. During her sister's going away party - somewhere between the bit where her sister's boyfriend sticks his tongue down her throat, and the bit when she decides to kiss Dan for the first time, Della's Diary goes missing. And even though she's now got the delightful Dan to take her mind off of it's whereabouts, it's not until pages... extremely embarrassing pages... of it start turning up on Facebook and other places that she really begins to worry who's got it. And why. And she starts to doubt everyone. Even her best friend, Maddy and the perfectly wonderful Dan.

"Della Says: OMG!" Is a rollercoaster ride from start to end. I seriously didn't want it to finish. The writing is sparkling, upbeat, very, very funny and the conversations between the characters is just so convincing it makes you want to read them over and over again and wish you were right there with them.

Keris Stainton is a name to watch out for - a bright, new voice in teenage fiction and if you like your characters believable, familiar and refreshingly honest, then you HAVE to read "Della Says:OMG!" You won't be disappointed.
on 29 June 2015
Absolutely amazing book, funny, exiting and a good storyline. I think it is suitable for 13+ girls!💗
I love this book. Highly recommend!🙌
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟's
(Or if you dont have emojis, 5 stars!)
on 26 May 2010
Della Says: OMG! is the debut novel from author Keris Stainton, and is a great addition to UK teen fiction. It focuses on Della, a likeable, realistic teenager whose personal diary is stolen from right under her nose. When excerpts from said diary start showing up on Facebook and other public places, she does what everyone in that situation would do: panics.

I enjoyed Della Says: OMG!, and I particularly liked the budding romance between Della and Dan. First relationships can be a scary thing, with so much to worry about, and so much that can go wrong. Stainton shows every side to teen life, and has perfectly captured the mindset of a teenage girl. Readers will realise they're not along when it comes to boyfriend anxiety, and that can only be a blessing in disguise.

I would have liked the book to be a little longer, and for there to be more emphasis on the missing diary. I felt like that plot got slightly overlooked, and I would have loved to see more embarrassing excerpts. I also thought Della figured out who the thief was too easily, though I understand why it played out that way.

Overall, Della Says: OMG! is a fun, light read with some serious stuff thrown in for good measure. Growing up is a hard time in anyone's life, and what makes this book so good is the realisation that Stainton still remembers what those rollercoaster teen years are like. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next, and I think she's definitely a writer to watch!

3.5/5
on 31 March 2017
I've just finished this. Superb. I'm not a young adult - so not the target reader, but I couldn't resist, as I have the same name as the main character and there aren't many of us about. I have never read a book where a "Della" character is is actually nice! Thank you Keris. Your Della was so lovely. So warm and funny and insecure and just great. A beautiful coming of age story. Sensitively handled. Really pacey. It was my bedtime reading but not for long as it was so engaging I soon finished it. Thank you.
on 10 August 2010
This is one of the first YA novels that I have read that hasn't been in the fantasy or paranormal genres so I was slightly worried about what I was going to think of it.

I was actually really surprised at how much I enjoyed reading this book. It is told completely in first person through Della's point of view which really made me connect with her quickly and feel for her because of what she was going through. Della is quite the average teenager with many hang ups about herself and she is far from confident and beautiful. Finally, someone has written a normal teenager. I do hate those teenagers in books who are beautiful and popular but still find something to whinge and moan about. In this book, Della has every reason to feel insecure, not because she isn't pretty, but because her mother and sister get so much more attention than her. This was a part of her character that I could relate to as my sister was always prettier than me and everyone always seemed to like her a lot more.

The relationship between Della and Dan was lovely to discover. I was so happy that Della finally got her chance at happiness and having something that she had wanted for such a long time. The way the two acted around each other, going from awkward to slowly getting more comfortable, really brought back some memories for me. Going out with someone for the first time is nerve wracking, no matter what age you are and I can remember feeling very much like Della did. I can only imagine how scared she was about going out with Dan considering how long she had been obsessed with him for.

Everything about the way that the teenagers in this book were written makes them so believable. There is a fair amount of swearing and as much as some people will moan about this, I think it is a common occurrence in teens in the UK and not using this kind of language would only have made the characters seem like they were in a fairytale. I probably wouldn't recommend this book to anyone under the age of 14/15 though due to some of topics regarding sex as they are somewhat explicit. Again though, normal behaviour when I was 17.

There was a fair amount of comedy throughout the story, especially with Della's parents. Both best friend Maddy and Dan totally loved her Dad and so did I. He wasn't your average teenagers Dad which was what made me love him immediately. At least he wasn't one of those Dads in these kinds of books that think his daughter/s are little angels that don't drink, don't fool around with boys and don't swear. Della's Dad was very realistic.

I was a little disappointed at how quickly the book ended after everything had been figured out. I would have liked for it to have been drawn out a little more or something extra added to the end instead of the way that it was done. This is the only slight problem that I had with the book overall.

Della says: OMG is a must read for older teenage girls and I think that a lot of adults will be able to relate to it in someway. There are quite a few important lessons to be learnt from this book, like not caring what other people think of you and learning to respect yourself which is something I wish I had been like at 17. I will certainly be putting Keris Stainton n my list of authors to read from now on.
on 20 April 2010
The concept of this book really appealed to me. I have been writing in diaries since I was 11 years old, and one of my worst nightmares is that somebody might find and read them. The thought that they may be put onto the internet or shared with anyone else gives me the complete heebie jeebies! For such a thing to happen to the protagonist, Della, immediately keeps you turning the page to see whether she can retrieve her diary and all of its secrets.

I thought this book was wonderful. Keris has a real skill of writing three dimensional characters; the kind of people you would like to exist in real life, and perhaps be friends with. Della was no exception. A lovely, smart, funny teenager dealing with the ups and downs of life as an adolescent. Her thoughts and feelings on life and the events happening around her were so well observed and very realistic. A perfect narrator.

The supporting cast were colourful and a joy to read. I especially loved Della's parents, who - far from being the kind of 'parenty' parents you may expect in a teenage novel - were very cool.

In-between searching for the missing diary, Della is enjoying a burgeoning romance with her long term crush - Dan. I think that this plot was my favourite of the whole book. For a start Dan was absolutely delicious. I was worried about just how delicious I found him (you know, with him being a teenager and all), but have been re-assured by others who have read this book, that this is completely normal. In reading this, expect to get a crush on Dan. It's inevitable.

The kissing scenes between Della and Dan brought on a touch of nostalgia. They snog and snog and snog some more. Kind of made me want to be a teen again, when kissing for HOURS was the most exciting way to spend your time.

I found this book refreshingly real, well written, witty and atmospheric. I highly recommend it and can't wait to see what Keris offers us next!
on 18 December 2012
A super read. The author shows such understanding and empathy for teen angst and carries us through it with a storyline close to every girl's heart and a page turning plot. So many girls will love this book.
on 22 March 2011
I have had this book sitting on my TBR pile for such a long time, and I really regret not picking it up sooner. Della Says: OMG! Is such a sweet novel!

It's completely believeable, it's a situation any teenager who keeps a diary would die over. You can't help but feel for Della when she realises her diary is gone and excerpts start appearing - especially considering the type of entries that show up. Not only are they personal, but they are likely to cause friction between her and the people in her life, because of things written in anger or changing situations. In some ways, it reminded me of Good Girls by Laura Ruby - although the plots are slightly different, they both involve humiliation through the sharing of things that should have be kept private through new technology. I had the same jaw-dropping reaction to both over how mean people can be.

Although it was pretty bad, I found that Della's relationship with Dan, and the sub-plot of her best friend Maddy's own relationship problems, to be what I was interested in most. Was Dan really genuine? What was Maddy going to do? I think this book really says something about relationships, how the most unlikely of relationships might not be as rocky as you'd assume, and how the strongest of relationships might not be as strong as you think.

There are funny moments, sad moments, and moments of extreme embarrassment, but what I love is the change that came over Della as the story progressed. From the unsure, self-concious girl, to the one who is a lot more confident, Della's story really is wonderful to read. My only negative is that I felt it ended quite abruptly, but overall it was a really sweet, lovely quick read. It would be great for summer reading!