Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 August 2009
This is a guide not only for the newly qualified teacher- but a refreshing read, in every sense, for all teachers. Sharply observed, and humorously written, Verity offers advice which is not only useful and interesting- but incredibly practical too. Definitely should be a read for all in the profession, regardless of experience- Get Ready to Teach reminded me that teaching is possibly the best job in the world!
on 19 July 2009
'Get Ready to Teach' is a wonderful guide for those at the beginning of their teaching career. Verity writes in a very down to earth style, which is complemented with a touch of humour. The book does not contain the academic jargon of so many other teaching guides and is permeated throughout by some wonderful, real life tales from the classroom. It guides the NQT right through their first year, from how to deal with pre September nerves, to self evaluation and career progression in their second year. The book also contains a list of useful websites and is appropriate for teachers in both the primary and secondary sectors. I wish something like this had been available when I was about to begin my NQT year.
on 24 January 2011
I have recently purchased this book and was thoroughly pleased with my new found knowledge and encouragement! I was a Primary school teacher for a few years and wanted to make the transition to Secondary, but was completely out of "touch" with the proceedings of how best to go about searching for a new job in a new school. Undoubtedly this book has enabled me to source and utilise the best and most efficient ways in which to go about this process and the handy hints and tips proved invaluable! I would like to personally thank you Ms Lush for providing me with all the necessary information and support/guidance to move in to the Secondary phase and ultimately secure a superb position in my new school! 5 out of 5 stars all the way!!!
on 17 August 2009
A really great present for anyone you know who is just about to go into teaching! Or maybe a treat for yourself if you have just qualified. An easy to read book with lots of useful and practical advice and tips. Material covers issues relevant to primary and secondary teaching.
on 28 July 2009
'Get Ready to teach' is a wonderfully funny and insightful guide for the NQT. Just about to embark on this year myself, this book has given me the ability and the tools to be confident about beginning my career. It's unpretentious and incredibly witty unlike so many other guides, making it a real page turner. A pleasure to read and I will continue to refer to it for many years to come. Thoroughly recommend.
on 25 January 2011
As chair of Governors for a school I purchased this book for our two NQT's this year. The aim was to show a welcoming spirit from the governing body and provide access to some valuable coaching. On both counts this worked. There was real positive response from the NQT's in being welcomed and the feedback on the content of the book has been superb. Feedback from the NQTs is that book has great real world observations and is well supported by a good dose of humour which makes it easy and enjoyable to read. The content is both practical and has many tips that are immediately useful, in fact having run a number of all year sessions at my school I couldn't help but glance through some chapters....and found it really compelling. I strongly recommend to other governors considering a similar approach that this book makes an excellent welcome gift for NQTs. We will certainly be doing the same for future NQTs.
on 6 June 2012
I bought this book to begin my NQT year and have used it several times. It is full of practical and useful advice and information.

I would definitely recommend it!
on 18 July 2009
What an amazing book! I wish I had had it when I qualified. It is written in a very accessible manner with many anecdotes to cheer you up when you've just returned home from THAT Year 9 class! It offers lots of sound advice and reminds you that you are not the first (nor will you be the last) person to have tricky days in the classroom. I would definitely get this for anyone just starting out in their teaching career, whether they are training, just secured a job or even a couple of years down the line.
on 23 January 2011
This fabulous guide is just pure brilliance! I am currently training to teach and it has been so useful to me and has so many fantastic, practical tips that I have been trying out during my teaching practice. Verity's advice is constructive and has helped me a great deal and continues to do so. I am always dipping into this for advice, tips and even just a giggle at the humorous stories of numerous teacher experiences (that I hope do not happen to me!!). A definite must have for all trainee's!
on 17 June 2015
This book would be helpful for a PGCE student, however anyone who has had a number of placements I doubt they would find this useful. The author takes a long time to inform you of very basic points. As a student who has finished a four year course I found more helpful advice on blogs and websites.