Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 April 2009
This is an extremely helpful book, and is written in a easy to understand way with a clear and concise layout.

It is relevant to all exam boards and lots of people in my class have this book - we all agreed it was the best one.
on 1 March 2009
This text book is great, colourful so your not falling asleep, whilst still giving you all the information you will need to grab those higher grades. A great purchase that you really can't go wrong with.
The structure is very simple for this revision express text book, it centres upon one area such as pragmatics and then explains and enthralls you with information.
A noticable feature when it comes to this text book is the 'grade booster' section, every so often there are small hints that tell you which bits to focus on in the exams which should be heeded as many are very useful.
on 6 June 2013
I do English Language GCE with WJEC and used this for my A2 year. Firstly, this book does not always go into great detail in explaining certain terms; it will mention something and then I'd be left to look it up.
While it does provide some good material on terminology, I often found that it did not give much in terms of higher level terminology. What it does give, is a good base glossary of terms, but I was looking to get some higher terms of linguistic analysis such as 'lexical diffusion', 'superscription', 'orthography', 'synecdoche', 'homonym' or 'hypophora'... Don't get me wrong, it IS VERY useful as revision material (as it is advertised), but I would recommend 'Sara Thorne's: Mastering Advanced English Language' as a book in which you could FULLY rely on - although it is not as easily digestible as this.
If you are using this for AS level only then I would give it 4 1/2 Stars, but as it is, it's not something which I could give full stars due to the omission of certain higher level terms.
on 25 July 2011
As a revision book for AS and even A2 this is very helpful and very good value. It gives easy-to-read summaries of all the key topics in enough depth to structure a decent essay or exam answer. You will need to add to it more examples and your own critical evaluation of theories and research presented. If you find it helps you to have each topic presented in just two pages with headings and bullet points, then this is a book for you. Its Grammar section is very clear and reader-friendly, a good resource if word classes and syntax are getting confusing. Topics are arranged helpfully, though you will need to check your own exam board's current requirements to know where the different topics fit into your exams. Despite becoming a little dated now, the content is still the basic material needed for A level so an excellent starting point for revision. And as the name suggests, it's quick and easy to use.
on 28 May 2013
i think that this revision guide has helped me in my a-level English language. for me it has been really helpful! it involves key points on spoken language and some key theories. there is also great linguistic techniques in which has sincerely helped with my annotating skills. so overall a very good buy, i would recommend this to any one who is doing English language and perhaps need a little bit of help in the subject. it also was a swift delivery, so thanks :)
on 2 May 2009
very good book... has helped me a lot! although it doesn't go into the A grade stuff in too much detail it is excellent to get a basis which you can develop on.
on 20 September 2014
Amazing book. I've just started studying AS level English Language and this book has already given me an advantage, as I discovered recently where I was already fully prepared for the topic of phonology. I imagine that this will help me greatly over the next 2 years. This is also an A2 level revision guide so I expect it to last 2 years. The delivery was very prompt, arriving only a day or two after I ordered it. It was also no more expensive than it would've cost in a shop, it may have even been cheaper. Cheers to Amazon for selling this!
on 12 June 2014
An excellent revision guide which is really easy to read and understand. It covers the main points of each topic and includes lots of handy tips and comments from examiners. Well worth the purchase and the only revison book you will need.
on 21 January 2013
Good study book with lots of helpful facts and points you need to know all packed into one book for both levels - well worth the buy!
on 26 April 2013
Just what my son needed (apart from a lot of hard work and dedication) to get him through the rigors of his AS course