Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 16 November 2016
Although I had no difficulties with my own children in terms of their eating, I found the book offered a helpful approach in understanding why some of my grandchildren are such fussy eaters, and what might be done about it. As 'eating' can be the stuff of nightmares at the dinner table, and I have witnessed some of those, this book offers a doable approach. The balance of power is clearly explained - you, as the adult, is in charge of what is for dinner, the 'little blighter' is in charge of whether s/he eats it or not; that is where the choice comes in, not at any other time. The hard thing for both parties will be to deal with the consequences of those choices. The book gives helpful insight and guidance, but it also offers HOPE for changed behaviour. It requires a great deal of determination on the part of the adult; if you know you will 'cave in' because of fears that they might 'starve', don't buy the book. It is not a 'u' rated Disney plot!
on 26 September 2013
A very quick, but highly convincing read about how so many of us get into a mess with our kids and food and how to sort it. In the month since I've read it, like other reviewers, I've found that it's helped to put the control back in my hands and reduce the constant, annoying-on-both-sides conflict I have with my daughter at the table, and makes mealtimes a much more pleasurable affair. I'm not sure she's quite a foodie yet (but then frankly, neither am I) but she's a lot more open-minded about trying new things, and I'm less anxious about preparing food to then be chucked away (after much arm-wrestling). I don't often write reviews, but this has had such a positive effect in our house that I thought I ought to share it.
on 12 March 2014
Such a good read with top tips for taking the stress out of kids' meal times. Great Mum to Mum advice - feels like you're getting help from a friend. Would really recommend this to all parents.
on 5 October 2013
Bought this book a couple of weeks ago.Took me just under an hour to read and digest(!) but it's helped a lot. Now, once the food is on the table, I see it as my job is done. We talk about other stuff (not the food). I'm seeing little changes day by day. My 6 year old tried the white bit of an egg for the first time. My 11 year old took marmalade sandwiches in his lunchbox. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's a big leap forward for him because he's taken jam sandwiches every single day pretty much since he started school.
on 1 March 2014
I reckon a huge amount of this is common sense but reading through this helps it to fall into place and does make you notice when you fall into one of the traps. It has easy to understand "rules" and I am really pleased with it].
on 29 May 2014
Great book easy reading. Very helpful advice making meal times a more enjoyable experience. Highly recommend this book to parents.
on 14 September 2015
This may be a small book but it is absolutely packed full of excellent advice and information. I'm really glad I bought it. I have a toddler who is a fussy eater and sometimes I'm at my wits end as to what to do. This book clearly sets out different approaches to meal times, it is mostly just common sense but reading it really helped me come up with a plan of action in my head and have me confidence in what to do.
on 24 August 2013
I really really like this book and feel it has been so helpful already. It all makes so much sense, but it's so good to have it all written down, because it's so easy to do all the things that are unhelpful. We had a lovely lunch today - healthy, no comments about eating, and good conversation . We've also been finding that although the children may initially complain about the food, when we don't focus on that or on whether they are eating or not, after a little while, during the meal they have eaten some of it and even liked it. It really feels like my partner and I can take the control back about what we provide, and can give the control back to the children about what they eat. I'm sure we'll all be much happier. I think it is great and revolutionary for today where almost everyone, perhaps even particularly sensitive parents, seem to struggle about food. It also seems that the book is applying to food what would make sense with a lot of areas of parenting; being clear who is in control of what which is about limits and boundaries.
on 6 November 2015
Very clear and practical book on how to get your picky eater to be less picky. The tips were very valuable. I have started to apply these tips few weeks ago and I am already seeing some results.
on 25 September 2013
The message I received, loud and clear, from Claire Potter's book, is, It's Ok! It's ok that kids don't clear their plates, it's ok that they really, really don't like beetroot, it's ok to eat with your fingers, try peanut butter, have a sip of beer! Above all, it's ok to set aside all the worry and prejudices passed down to us by our parents. It is even ok to forgive them because theirs was a different time! There ARE rules in this book - don't get me wrong - but they are clear, concise and if you follow them, you will succeed. Mealtimes will be less fraught. The nuggets of wisdom and the 'sciency bits' will empower you and the fun ideas come just often enough to enthuse you without feeling like a failure if you don't want to bother. I don't feel I am failing where feeding my kids is concerned anymore - because I know I am succeeding when my 6 year old spits an olive out into my hand!