on 25 July 2013
I took the (shorebased) coastal skipper/yachtmaster offshore course in a distance learning format. Whilst the course material was excellent, this book was a very good study help. All elements of the RYA syllabus are explained in a straightforward manner and with good illustrations. The questions at the end of each chapter help to test your knowledge. The only part of the syllabus which would prove insufficient to pass your exams is the one on meteorology, which beyond doubt is the most difficult part of the course. The chapter on electronic navigation on the other hand, was better explained than in my course and more up to date. I've seen a number of similar books and this one is by far the best I came across. The exercise book, which is sold separately, was also a very good help in reviewing knowledge of the subject matter. Highly recommend this book and the exercise book to anyone studying for the shorebased RYA exam. It was a great help to me in passing my exam.
on 20 August 2017
Front line product
on 19 December 2012
This is one of the best books of reference that I have ever had the pleasure to read. Very easy to move from one subject to another and has helped me consolidate my studies towards getting my yachmaster certificate.
on 28 May 2014
Excellent book covering all areas of sea craft. Easy to understand even for the novice with some land navigation experience.
on 6 February 2015
Best in class. I've purchased similar books over the years and have vowed to write my own manual upon retirement. With this publication I will have to find something else to do with my time.
on 28 January 2014
Very useful book does what's required studying for day skipper theory would recommend it for study and reference work at home
on 12 August 2013
Although I am only looking to pursue the ICC certification, I picked up this Yachtmaster manual as well as it contained a much more detailed manual for sailing (approximately 200 pages I believe compared to the ICC guide which is around 100). It contains much of the same information but it is good to get a deeper understanding of sail and power even if only going for the ICC. I highly recommend this book to others learning to sail.
on 17 April 2015
Absolutely class material. Ideal for beginners and seasoned alike. Very easy reading and super informative. Another top notch book by a top notch author. You will never regret owning this book.
on 18 March 2013
a must have for all aspiring yachtmaster - this book clearly and informatively walks you through what can only be described as a ton of material - great for learning even better for reference.
on 11 May 2015
I used this book whilst completing yachtmaster theory. It is quite simply brilliant - knocks spots of any of the RYA materials! Thoroughly recommend to anyone doing similar courses!