on 14 March 2011
I don't believe in everything I read just because.I like to have a critic approach to scientific topics so I was searching for a book written by an expert in the field WITH credentials.
Anita Bean is a registered nutritionist with a degree in nutrition and food science from Surrey University and has a considerable amount of books written so that made me confident in buying this book.
The book turned out to be better than I expected.She carefully explains everything based on the existing scientific researches and gives very good advices and plans as well debunks some myths such as which supplements are good/worth it and which are not.
It takes some time and patience to read it but if you want to take your sport seriously you won't regret to buy this book.
on 21 March 2001
This is a great book. It held my interest reading it cover to cover, and it is also a valuable reference work. I like the author's writing style. I think that she recognises that within her audience there is a wide spectrum of existing knowledge on the subject, and she caters for this well. I found that many contemporary issues relevant to people embarking on a combined fitness/weight-loss regime were addressed. The knowledge that this book provides will help them avoid some major pitfalls and increase their chances of success.
on 20 January 2003
I am a keen sports person (not professional) and was looking for a book that would tell me what I needed to eat and WHY. This does both of those jobs very well, infact at the end Anita includes some recipes and menus to try out.
The format of the book made it easy to read. I would love to memorise the book, but I can't so instead when I need to look something up, I just search for the grey boxes where questions are answered, food ideas are given and summaries are provided.
There's alot of information, but the format helps break this up.
on 27 April 2014
Covers all bases. If you need to elaborate you can search for specific studies on google. A great reference for anyone in the fitness industry or starting out in a sport that will require expansion of knowledge within their nutritional habits and quantities they will require to maximise their training. Great for note taking too and an easy port of call for questions asked by clients.
on 21 October 2013
this book has changed my life.... im no longer afriad of eating breakfast & carbohydrates in general..!!! this book is a must have if you are serious about becoming an athlete
on 19 June 2002
I've been training on and off for a while, and have always appreciated that nutrition was important. Having ready Bill Phillips book "Body-for-life", I wanted some firmer scientific background.
This book consolidates a lot of information published in magazines into one place, in a readable, unbiased, practical fashion. It is fairly up-to-date and is based on scientific fact not, rumours spread by one exercising hard core nutcase to a fatter than should be newbie!
My only complaint that this book is not big enough, as I'm still hungry for more information. But that is more a reflection of my enthusiasm for this book.
This is a great book for those who want to learn more about nutrition. I guess it is not so suitable for the already very knowledgable, but then at the price it is, it is a lot cheaper and more readable than those huge volumes for those that want to spend 3 years at uni studying it.
11 Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2003
The book is well laid out, uses plain English and assumes no prior knowledge of nutrition. The sections dealing with supplements make the volume useful for sports therapists like myself who need a good general knowledge of the topic without being experts. The book is also clear and easy enough to understand that anyone interested in improving their health or sports performance can read it without resorting to the dictionary. For the more serious academic this is well researched and detailed enough to provide an introduction to sports nutrition without being too dense or laden with jargon.
on 12 January 2001
I've used this book for a year now and keep coming back to it for practical down to earth advice on nutrition in sport. It's logically structured, very plainly written (contains no 'techno-babble'), dispels many myths about nutrition and expensive supplements and most importantly contains lots of useful info. It's even a good read.
on 30 March 2011
Anita Bean is down to earth and practical, her books are great for training and diet. Her suggestions are easy and do work. I am 60 years old and diabetic and I love mountain biking. I have been struggling with fitness, now a whole new world has opened up, I can't believe how much better I am getting on. I am off to Wales mountain biking now! The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition (Complete Guides)
on 31 December 2013
One of the best books I have ever bought, simple and understandable information on nutrition for every level of athlete.