on 16 November 2016
I bought this book for my partner as he has always had a mild interest in spotting birds. Since getting this book; he's ordered him sled a pair of binoculars and bought himself a notepad. He keeps this and the book in the car and has gone out on various occasions to try and spot new birds. He really loves his new healthy hobby and this book has encouraged him to take a more active, educated role in bird spotting.

The book itself is pocket sized and gives just the essential details about all of the birds that visit the UK throughout the year. It tells you what you need to do to spot birds, the equipment you need, how to spot birds, when you where you need to go and spot birds and general practical advice. The introduction won't take you more than half an hour to read and then you're ready to go.

5* book. I would recommend this book to all newbie and wannabe twitchers.
on 21 November 2016
This is the ideal book for anyone hoping to identify the birds we see around us whether common or rare. It is compact enough to go into a pocket or bag but tells us everything we need to look for when trying to work out whether that little brown chap/chapess over there is a House Sparrow or a Dunnock or a Tree Sparrow or a Bunting or indeed any or none of these.
This meticulously illustrated guide will help the expert or the beginner. Pointers to identification are writ large and indicated very clearly; leg colour, wing bar shapes, silhouette in flight. eye markings and so on. The chapters and sections are logically arranged with colour coding to help find different types of bird which works with the clever index to help sort your waders from your raptors or your kittiwakes from your lesser black backs. It's great to know that that large shaggy, brownish, spotty one that just ate your chips is probably a juvenile herring gull. Believe me, it helps!
on 9 March 2017
An excellent guide. Particulary helpful is the way this guide points out similar birds which may be confused with the bird in question, describing the subtle differences between the species, to aid correct identification.
on 16 January 2018
I've used this book along with a pair of 10 x 42 binoculars and despite being a novice 'twitcher' I've successfully identified several birds - which is great feeling of accomplishment. The book is divided into "different bird" catagories (e.g. Owls, larks, tits, wrens, sparrows, etc.) which gives the novice a fighting chance of identifying a bird.

An older review below states that the book would be better if it contained drawings of under, my 2012 version does include wing illustrations.

A useful feature of the book are maps for each bird-type giving an indication to the distibution of species across the seasons - If I think I've seen a ring necked parakeet in the highlands of Scotland then I know I need to look again as the species is shown as being distributed in the SE of England.

Another helpful feature is a section for each bird on the "confusion of species" which again allows you to cross reference your finding.

The illustrations are beautiful and clear and the overall presentation, information and quality of this book has engaged me thoroughly.
VINE VOICETOP 100 REVIEWERon 6 July 2017
A great little book of British birds with excellent illustrations. Each entry has pictures showing
seasonal variations in appearance, together with information including a description, population,
habitat, voice (I love the phonetic sonic approximations!) and "confusion species" (really helpful).

I'd never thought I'd become a twitcher but things are moving in that direction. Binoculars next!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 October 2017
A good pocket field guide. It's good for a beginner or younger bird lover, even to carry if you struggle with plumages on gulls, waterbirds or juveniles etc.

5 stars for beginners or youngsters but a bit lacking for a seasoned bird watcher.
on 9 December 2015
This little pocket guide is brilliant, pretty much every bird you will find in Britain will have at least one page to itself in here, giving you details of its call, what it is commonly mistaken with & where you will more than likely locate it with a little map on each page showing this. And it is of excellent quality for the cheap price!

I purchased this just to identify the birds in my garden, but its small enough to take on walks, holidays etc. So that I shall!
Will be great identifying all the birds I spot when we stop in the log cabin holiday next year.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 April 2016
This little book has pride of place in our conservatory, along with a pair of binoculars - ideally placed for easy reach when we have little visitors in our garden. We also took it on a recent trip to the Wetlands at Slimbridge Gloucestershire. Found it very useful. I would highly recommend as a pocket size reference book for all budding ornithologist's.
on 26 August 2016
Great book packed with pictures and info... small enough to fit in a pocket. Bought to accompany my new binoculars on walks by the sea. Excellent value for money and I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in birdwatching.
on 26 April 2017
Excellent book,purchased it to go with binoculars for my grandson! Hes very happy with it, thankyou for great service!