on 22 February 2016
This years version of a classic help to both aspiring and established writers. One of the few volumes that are probably essential in this field.
on 29 May 2012
This is a wonderful book, one I wish I'd had before I ever thought of setting pen to paper.
You know the way that kids have a comfort blanket? My two do, and though the eldest is really rather too old for his, I can now claim that I have my own blankie - in the shape of Harry Bingham's 'How to Write'.
It is eminently practical, which is helpful rather than hectoring as other books on writing I have had the misfortune to read have been - though I've never been great at being told what to do.
Rather, the reader is guided in a no-nonsense manner through the practicalities of writing and getting to the prize of being published.
I found the uses of examples throughout very helpful and my favourite bit of the whole book was the section entitled 'Little Flashes of Genius'.
The layout is great too, with summaries at the end of each section. I will admit to reading 'How to Write' quickly the first time, but it will now have pride of place with my other 'how to' books on the subject, bringing that particular section of my library to a grand total of three - one of the others being by a certain Mr. King. And yes, that's how good this book is.
Would highly recommend to anyone interested in the mechanics of writing, and can see myself dipping in and out of it again and again until the binding starts to sag and the pages become dog-eared.
on 17 September 2013
This is a very good book. I found all that I needed to know in it once I got used to the style. The only downside it that you need to read it comprehensively, as for a dip in reference it is not so good. You need to read it cover to cover and you will come away inspired and knowledgeable. Personally I am not so keen on the examples he quotes at length from other books but then perhaps there is no better way then to quote at length. This is only a personal preference and certainly does not disfavour what is a good and useful book.
on 2 June 2013
I loved this so much I bought one for a friend after I had finished reading mine (she wasn't getting my copy!) I have loads of books on writing and this is by far the best. At times, it's very funny - I read it on the train to Durham and it made me laugh out loud - not bad for an "academic" text! He has a wonderful style. Now I have read it from cover to cover, I dig in and out of chapters. I canlt recommend it highly enough!
on 30 March 2013
This is the first book I have read on the subject and I found it useful for finding a starting point as I didn't really know where to begin. I feel I can now make a start which is what I hoped for from the book. The spelling errors were a little jarring considering how emphatic the author is about editing work. Overall, a good introduction to writing.
on 31 May 2012
I have written two books which have been published and am hoping for good news soon on a third. I did swear I'd have a rest but I am feeling so inspired by How to Write that I am now planning book four!
What I love most is that Harry Bingham uses current and popular books to illustrate his points; the kind of books you'd discuss with a friend - which makes the analysis feel accessible. Its not at all the stuffy pseudo intellectual analysis that gets in the way of understanding. The examples might not be regarded as literary fiction but they are books we have all loved - Bridget Jones is used to illustrate the art of first person narrative, Liz Gilbert's Eat Pray Love to describe the art of memoir, etc.
I also love Harry for the sometimes un-PC remarks about otherwise revered authors.
None of this is to say that the book is in any way frivolous - far from it - its a very considered examination of all the elements of writing - from point of view to plot. There is so much to absorb that I know I will keep referring to it for many years to come, and that there is no way I am lending my copy to anybody.
I will recommend this book to anyone who asks me how to write, and to anyone who enjoys reading and wants to get a close up on the craft.
It's also a great introduction to new authors - my amazon wish list grows longer by the day.
Thank you Harry Bingham.
on 26 August 2015
I am finding this book very helpful and inspiring
on 19 July 2012
This is an excellent book on the art and craft of writing. Mr. Bingham has done a great job making his tips and instruction accessible. The tone of the book is encouraging and positive, and the fact that the subject matter is approached from what a publisher is looking for only makes the work more helpful.
on 18 January 2014
This book is clear, concise, analyses examples brilliantly, easy to read, gave excellent summations at the end of chapters, reveals the facts with a balanced view for the would be writer, Out standing from all the others I have read, it is now my bible.
on 26 August 2015
Excellent! Clearly written, very helpful, and led me to me reading his fiction. Great stuff.