Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle George Michael - MTV Replugged Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 14 June 2012
. . .and I've read more than a few. Very good on how to marshall scrappy early ideas into a coherent shape. He demystifies what 'writing for the market' means. Excellent and practical on what good writing really is - when most just swoon over a lovely phrase. Lucidly written in a pleasing and easy-to-read style. Perhaps what's most valuable, though, is the way that the author uses his own learning curve to provide examples of mistakes, hesitations and wrong turnings on the way to achieving a steady rise in the mastery of his craft. Worth setting beside Stephen King 'On Writing' & Robert McKee on 'Story'.
on 4 June 2012
I actually read this book in a very strange order, as when it popped through the letterbox I was at a particularly low ebb regarding self editing and trying to finish my own manuscript. I found it extremely informative and helpful and I have now read the entire book in an order all of my own. The thing that sets this book apart from others of its ilk is its down to earth approach. It doesn't preach to the reader as though expecting him or her to have been in the trade for a number of years (I've been writing 4 years and consider myself nowhere near an expert, or anything even remotely close)It deals with the subjects it covers in a fresh, organised down to earth way. As another reviewer has pointed out it also deals with and quotes from up to date issues and books. It will sit with the yearbook, handbook and anything else deemed irreplaceable on the corner of my writing desk, ready to be used at a moments notice, until I have made it in the world of writing. A job lot of dusters is required. Superb
on 13 September 2014
would recommend
on 11 January 2015
Best, most helpful book on writing a novel I've ever read.
on 30 May 2012
Harry Bingham loves to write. It is obvious in everything he has, well, written. This guide has proved to be a sound balance between nurturing the desire to tell stories and presenting the necessary process to do so. Bingham's frank approach to the practicalities of pulling a novel together will leave writers with a realistic view of what they are letting themselves in for, but he doesn't spoil the magic by being boring - his voice is engaging, funny and with the pleasure of storytelling at its core.

The layout is especially helpful, with a contents section that is not overly complicated, allowing you to get-on-with-it directly - an actual reference book that can be used repeatedly to remind, inform and inspire.

This guide has been very useful to me. The tone sits just right, helpful. It feels like an honest book.
on 15 March 2015
Really helpful book, well explained and easy to navigate.
on 29 June 2015
I've read other books on writing that I couldn't put them down; this one took me nearly a year to finish.

But if you can summon the willpower to plod through the book, you will get rewarded with some really useful advice.
on 22 February 2016
This years version of a classic help to both aspiring and established writers. One of the few volumes that are probably essential in this field.
on 29 May 2012
This is a wonderful book, one I wish I'd had before I ever thought of setting pen to paper.
You know the way that kids have a comfort blanket? My two do, and though the eldest is really rather too old for his, I can now claim that I have my own blankie - in the shape of Harry Bingham's 'How to Write'.
It is eminently practical, which is helpful rather than hectoring as other books on writing I have had the misfortune to read have been - though I've never been great at being told what to do.
Rather, the reader is guided in a no-nonsense manner through the practicalities of writing and getting to the prize of being published.
I found the uses of examples throughout very helpful and my favourite bit of the whole book was the section entitled 'Little Flashes of Genius'.
The layout is great too, with summaries at the end of each section. I will admit to reading 'How to Write' quickly the first time, but it will now have pride of place with my other 'how to' books on the subject, bringing that particular section of my library to a grand total of three - one of the others being by a certain Mr. King. And yes, that's how good this book is.
Would highly recommend to anyone interested in the mechanics of writing, and can see myself dipping in and out of it again and again until the binding starts to sag and the pages become dog-eared.
on 17 September 2013
This is a very good book. I found all that I needed to know in it once I got used to the style. The only downside it that you need to read it comprehensively, as for a dip in reference it is not so good. You need to read it cover to cover and you will come away inspired and knowledgeable. Personally I am not so keen on the examples he quotes at length from other books but then perhaps there is no better way then to quote at length. This is only a personal preference and certainly does not disfavour what is a good and useful book.