on 28 June 2017
If I would not found just one exercise that really helped with my lower back pain I would evaluate this book - I don't like it. But as I found this thing and nothing else was represented in this book valuable I evaluate this book - It's OK!
I would not to say this book is a complete guide to something. After accomplishing to read this book I still have got many questions not answered. The reason why is the language used in this book is combersome. There are many anatomical terms but there is not a single picture that would described what does it mean. No pictures at all which muscles work doing particular movements. The feeling was created that author tries to look descent not by saying very necessary things in a simple manner but by using language full of academical terms. At the end of the book I felt like I have an information but I do not know how to use it and reason why it is so is lack of example how to built a normal workout for regular man or for special needs after all.
This book is good for students in the level amongst basic and intermediate. I would not recommend this book for home usage only for more or less academic studies or just for acquainting with the topic.
on 4 January 2017
good
on 30 March 2013
Some good exercises, which are explained well. Information is clear and concise, which makes reading the easy, I would recommend this book.
This book runs to 312 pages including the index, and split into eleven chapters covering basics, exercise groups such as squats and lifts, and programmes. The basics section is good but is a bit dry and appears to be written for personal trainers. It describes slightly less conventional equipment such as chains, sandbags, sleds, tyres, and battle ropes, but doesn't mention ViPRs ViPR 10kg. Each exercise group has good colour photos of the initial and final position in the exercise and a description of the aim of the exercise, the set-up and execution of the exercise, and relevant comments.

I'm not interested in large showy muscles or powerlifting but I do need sufficient strength and muscle coordination to do things like lift and carry boxes at home or shovel compost in the garden. Additionally my glutes don't tend to fire so my personal trainer introduced me to functional training in early 2012. For me functional training is about everyday strength and mobility, whereas compound exercises are about strengthening two or more muscles using two or more joints and could be related to everyday strength. A low to high woodchop with a ViPR or medicine ball is functional, but a renegade row is a compound exercise. Therein lies the problem for me as the book has both functional and compound exercises, and even a bicep curl (isolation exercise). It would have been fine to title the book as Strength Training but to specifically title it Functional Training is a bit misleading.
55 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 August 2015
Excellent book with a great number of functional exercises addressing all the movement patterns. Also helps to identify different limiting factors for each movement pattern and suggest exercises to correct them in order to perform better. Nicely structured, easy to read. Highly recommend it to everyone interested in functional training.
on 8 January 2017
Purchased as gift
on 8 December 2014
Good book and very informative. Arrived on time. Nicely done!
on 17 June 2015
Well written, good knowledge!
on 29 August 2014
Brilliant
on 15 January 2013
I bought for my daughter, she loves it as she is now a fitness instructor. Easy ready and sound advice.