Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 June 2012
The book is fantastic for those who want to learn about Church Architecture and the religious meanings behind the various sections of the various different kinds of Churches. The book provides the reader which many diagrams and images so you can appreciate and recognise the particular part of the church when you next visit.

I found it better than 'How To Read A Church: A Guide to Images, Symbols and Meanings in Churches and Cathedrals by Dr Richard Taylor' mainly because it had much, much more images, literally images on every single page, whilst Richar Taylors one was mainly texts and describing the more of the symbols and images presented around the church rather than the architecture itself.

Anyway, its a great book for interest but also for any architecture students who want to study churches.
on 22 January 2014
Possible purchasers should be careful. This is one of those books that you probably wouldn't have bought if you'd flicked through it in a conventional bookshop. It covers so much ground, in so many countries, as to be completely useless if wanted as a guide kept in the car while visiting, say, English churches. One small page might have an illustration from Rome, Mexico, and Philadelphia - not much help if you're currently in Norfolk! But worse than that, the information given on each item is so minimal as to be hardly worth the bother, and not much more interesting than a simple glossary. Worse still is the quality of the print: this book is a triumph of style over substance. Unless your eyes are perfect, not only is the print on the small side, but by choosing a seriffed font it nearly disappears into the background. And since the print is not particularly dark, the only way I could comfortably read it was a) with my occasional reading glasses on; and b) with a strong reading light shining on the page. So quite useless for being out and about.

To repeat: if you'd seen this in a bookshop, you'd have looked elsewhere.
on 28 July 2013
I enjoy looking at churches and their interiors (despite being an atheist). As a layman, previous attempts to learn something of ecclesiastical architectural terms has caused me to suffer from some academic indigestion and so this excellent little book is much more able to meet my standard of enquiry. It is clear, well illustrated and above all pocketable and will be ideal as part of my travelling library, to be my companion as I explore the wonderful churches of Britain.
on 31 January 2013
It is a very clear guide book for the introduction of churches, divided by different types, period, and so forth.
on 26 May 2013
Small enough to put in your pocket this book will provide very interesting information for those. like me, who want to know more, but no too much about Church architecture. It contains a good glossary and will make your visits to churches all the more rewarding.
on 8 April 2013
I'm not an expert on architecture, hence the purchase. I'm currently reading it from cover to cover. Plenty of illustrations but I wonder if it's a little bit too general for my ultimate needs, but I'm learning/refreshing my knowledge nicely.
on 1 November 2013
For my work this book is informative and a handy pocket size,
Just what I needed for when on site with arms of equipment.
on 20 June 2013
Very interesting to use as a structure guide when visiting historical churches and small enough to carry in a small bag
on 21 November 2014
Easy to read, well illustrated, compact and fits in your pocket. All in all a very useful guide.
on 18 March 2016
I'm finding this book very useful, I was happy with the price too.