Customer reviews

Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques
Format: Hardcover-spiral|Change

on 4 December 2017
The book is ok, great techniques but would really loved to have more information and examples on lining underling and would have liked it to have talked about the difference in silk organza since they are not all created equal! I have learned from someone in the business that fashion houses don’t use silk organza to underline as the inside of the dress turns out more expensive that the outside, which seems crazy. Instead they use this type of gauze like fabric which can be 100% silk or 70% silk and 30% viscose. Which can’t be sourced where I’m from. So as far as the information in here goes not at all accurate but that goes for all the couture books not just this one. I give it 4 out of 5 stars
on 22 September 2017
Exactly as advertised and in constant use.
on 26 November 2017
good read
on 29 August 2017
Interesting sewing ideas as how to make different kind of necklines and other decorative effects.
on 21 May 2017
Lots of great methods and insights, fantastic little read
on 21 January 2011
I received this book today and it was just what is needed in any dressmaker's collection. The author gives you such tips as how to make a hidden sew in pocket, how to stop a slit in a skirt from ripping, how to handle difficult materials and many more.

I often find that the little details (how to cover a press stud) are the ones that are so often overlooked in sewing books and this one covers it.

It is not for a complete beginner and it does assume that you already know how to sew.

The book is beautifully illustrated and easy to read, being spiral bound and I'm sure any dressmaker will use it again and again.

Particularly useful for the perfectionist.

This would make a wonderful gift for any dressmaker at any level.
0Comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 May 2017
very useful
on 23 July 2017
Love it love it love it very good book.
on 29 October 2011
I bought this along with Couture Sewing Techniques by Claire Shaeffer because, looking at the reviews for both, I thought I might be missing something if I didn't get the other. I wasn't. This book is by far the better in my opinion, but I was looking for something to instruct me on how to get a more professional, high end finish on my clothing (which includes wedding dresses, prom dresses and christening gowns amongst other things - so finish is pretty important) rather than an in-depth history book. This book has very clear, user-friendly instructions, excellent photographs and illustrations and most of the techniques are illustrated in several steps...on actual fabric, unlike the other book! It has given me much inspiration and reminded me of several techniques my mother, a professional seamstress, used but I had completely forgotten about. I do understand that much actual couture sewing is done by hand and I'm not adverse to that, where necessary (in fact, I always 'thread trace' and 'baste', though I've always known these as simply 'tacking' - 'basting' is what you do to a turkey!), but if you want to use a sewing machine for the majority of your project as I do, then this book also comes up trumps in that department. I will definitely be referring back to this book time and time again - exactly what I was looking for!
0Comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 June 2012
This book is packed with techniques for giving a high-quality finish to home-sewn garments. In each case she explains where and why you might use the technique. There are ample clear photos to illustrate each process and the book is spiral-bound which makes it easy to read whilst working. The main sections are: Bindings and Finishes; Design Details On Show; Design Details Concealed; Designer Underpinnings; Directory Of Luxury Fabrics; Essential Couture Techniques. My only criticism is that in the underpinnings section there are photos showing a skirt where one half has a technique applied to it and the other doesn't, to illustrate the benefit of lining it, backing the fabric etc, but I can't tell the difference in many cases. Anyone who is serious about improving their dressmaking skills would benefit from using this book. Even a novice could follow it though as it explains things clearly and comprehensively.