Customer reviews

on 19 December 2011
I had the pleasure of being able to read this publication before release, and I would say that the final copy is pitch perfect. I teach and instruct as a Production Technician at one of the country's leading 16-18 Performing Arts Institutions and I have now made this publication a firm part of my 6 week short technicians course as well as insisting they buy a copy themselves. I had previously been very impressed with the "Give Me Some Light" range by the same author, and I now found that it has been brought up to date, improved upon and made more useful, the latter largely due to the size of the book/dvd combo. Its the splitting of subject and details into 3 sections giving basic, advanced and extra information. Its perfect for those I think requiring a backup to their knowledge and a fresh perspective on techniques as well as those just starting their training to those at the later stages of training. Schematics, useful charts and tables, and a very handy glossary of terms improve upon other books and resources (I have been favoured with Frances Ried's and Neil Fraiser's collections for many years). Well written, easy to use from both lecturer and student perspectives, any perspective technical theatre or for that "more rounded performer" any actor, dancer, stage professional should aim to have at least this book in their armoury. A hearty congratulations to Skip as this book will live long and form the foundations of many-a young technician's formative years. I DO wish I'd had this when training, my students will.
on 26 March 2012
I bought this book to aid my time as LX Assistant at University as I was previously unsure about a few aspects.
The easy to follow information made the book a great help throughout my study.
Brilliant to dip in and out of.
on 24 November 2012
Having been given the task of get my college's lighting system working and knowing nothing about the subject, I was looking for an easy to read but accurate introduction to the subject. This book assumes you know nothing, which I didn't, and gently but firmly guides you towards a thorough understanding of terms, regulations and basically 'how to'of the subject. A DVD is also included to reinforce the book. Esential reading for those interested in lighting or joining their local AmDram as a tech.
on 16 January 2014
Great for a beginner or to brush up.
Videos on CD are useful for teaching others.
Good value and good to keep in the bag at all times.
on 6 August 2015
great book and informative
on 6 October 2013
this was bought by my grandson for his course work at performing arts college so I cannot rate it .