Customer reviews

on 15 April 2013
great starter for any one considering tv development and a invaluable refresher resource, well written, easy to understand, great as reference book
on 31 August 2010
This is an excellent book and is jam packed with valuable information. Each chapter also includes several case studies that give you the inside track on factual television success stories that until now, you may have only admired from afar.

This book looks like a text book and the content has been structured with an academic vigour, but it's written in a very easy to read style that will have you speeding through the pages and then re-reading again to make sure you didn't miss any thing. I expect my copy to become well-thumbed in no time.
on 8 November 2010
A really brilliantly written insiders view point. The writing works well in 2 ways - 1) it breaks down processes into a solid 'how to' guide with lots of genuinely useful, tried and tested methods for constructing and selling your ideas. Not just the 'uh Duh' kind of hokum that you feel you could have written yourself. 2) it is a riveting almost thriller style read, with laugh out loud/jaw dropping anecdotes from those on the inside- people that it's almost impossible to get close to, let alone speak to frankly, even when you're in the industry. A real access all areas read that I would consider essential reading for anyone in TV, whether you have plenty of experience or none. You could give it to a budding new development researcher on their first day and feel confident they had most of the info they'd need to go forward and actually make a difference. Great work, much needed.
on 13 January 2011
This is an excellent book with lots of insight. One of the few really helpful books for developing producers (staring or wannabes) of factual TV. Don't forget to check out Nicola Lee's blog and subscribe to the email list, as it is the perfect match for the book.
on 1 September 2010
Highly recommended. As a Development Producer with a fair few years in the field, I wasn't sure how much I'd get out of this book. Totally wrong - it was worth every penny. The writing is lucid and amusing and as the previous reviewer says, while it's a bit of text book, it's never dry.

I realised a couple of basic mistakes our development team were making and have already begun to implement changes. There's nothing you can do about the madness of the commissioning process, but there is something you can do to improve your pitches and the odds: buy this book. Now I just need to get the boss to read it...
on 21 September 2010
I keep Greenlit on my desk in front of my computer, many pages now have the corners turned down, and as I get to different stages in my pitches I will consult it before going on to the next stage. Clear, practical and without hype - just a good solid book that is easy to read and very helpful.
on 9 October 2010
I was waiting for this book to come out after searching for just something like it for a few months.
As someone with no background or real experience in this world i had been fumbling around preparing pitches based on info i picked up on line. Read this and sat with the info next to me as i refined my pitch.
Found that i got much more interest and one producer commented how pleasant it was to receive such a well prepared and pro document.
Read it,refer to it and if you have a good idea you will increase your chances of getting to screen that i feel is for sure.
on 17 October 2010
Having taken a training course led by Nicola earlier this year.
I bought her book Greenlit as a follow up reference for all the information i had picked up in person.
I've found her approach to navigating the industry to be so simple, helpful and encouraging.
The book sits on my desk like a reassuring pat on the back that im going in the right direction.
Id like to thank Nicola for endeavoring to provide this helping hand in an industry that can seam impossible to navigate.
I highly recommend it for people at any level in the industry.
on 31 May 2011
I was fortunate enough to get an idea in front of a commissioner who loved the format and straight away wanted to develop the format and commission a pilot - trouble was I had never done anything like this before and was way out of my depth in terms of understanding the TV production landscape - to the point I nearly backed off but fortunately read Greenlit that not only reassured me of what I was going through but also gave me confidence that I could get an idea on television. An invaluable companion!
on 11 November 2010
Greenlit is an excellent guide to the world of pitching and developing. It shows you step-by-step, how to originate, develop and pitch your factual idea. The book is full of case studies, quotes and anecdotes to help illustrate her points, this makes it an interesting read as apposed to being just another manual. I would recommend it to people at all levels of production as Nicola's knowledge is so broad that it would be difficult to find another person that could give her level of insight.