Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 May 2017
I thought I would gain some insight from this book. I was mistaken. Many issues are discussed but not deeply. One would expect to find more information about running watches and heart rates, but they are barely mentioned in the book. The author seems to be passionate runner, and she may encourage people to take on running, but I felt the book was bit superficial.
on 3 May 2005
Too old to run my first marathon at 39? This is the book that helped me run The London Marathon in under three hours and thirty minutes with only a four month lead time. The core of the book contains six sixteen week training plans. You will find one to suit you whether you are a novice or an experienced runner, whether you have a lot of time to train or can only manage the bare minimum. Alongside this you will find essential information ranging from dealing with injuries, through fuelling correctly, to how to prepare for race day. This book helped me achieve my goal and is definitely the essential marathon runner's guide.
on 4 December 2009
I've run a few marathons already so have some running experience, and have found lots of useful information, tips and ideas in this book. There are so many different things covered in this book that I think most runners would find something interesting in it. It would be a really good book for total beginners as well - it covers the basics in a good level of detail and the book is written in a very readable and approachable style. It is nice to read a running book that doesn't assume you will be able to dedicate hours and hours every week to running, and has lots of tips on how to make running more enjoyable, rewarding and easier to fit into a hectic lifestyle. I like the fact that this book captures the sentiment that finishing a marathon or a half-marathon is a great achievement for anyone, no matter what time they take.
on 6 November 2009
After using one of Sam Murphy's other books, "Triathlon from Start to Finish", as a reference text to train for my first Triathlon, there was only one book I wanted to read for my first Marathon. It did not disappoint. The book is a no-nonsense practical guide to training for a Marathon in the real world where you don't have 5 hours a day to dedicate to it. I followed one of the training plans religiously for 16 weeks and completed my first Marathon recently in a respectable 03:43. In short, a great book for non-runners to prepare for running their first Marathon.
on 12 December 2009
Everything you need to know

This book does exactly what it says on the label & gives great advice from start to finish - from the moment you think about doing a marathon or get your place, right through to recovery, it helps you every step of the way.

I have read plenty of running books, but this one doesn't assume you're an aspirant Olympic athlete & understands that running is just part of your busy life.

It gives advice on all aspects of marathon training - not just the running itself. It also includes excellent sections on strength, flexibility and mental training that are just as important if you are going to succeed & enjoy it!

The book also gives some handy schedules for training as well as great tips for race day itself. It even gives tips on which marathons to consider.

I have done several marathons & half marathons, but still learnt a lot from this book. If I were a novice to these events or just running in general, this is really the only book I would need to read. It brings the advice I have read from other books and lessons learnt along the way, into one, easy to read volume.
on 6 November 2011
As some people have previously highlighted, what's written in this book is no rocket science. Nothing that those already interested in sports do not know. However, it does offer extended information and having it there in writing is always a good reminder. It's motivational because as you read it you start planning your goals and training. I found particularly useful the training charts for different case scenarion (real, ideal world) and I have taken on board many tips. It's very enjotable to read. I have it on my bedside table and have a look at it every so often to get a refresh. Worth the purchase.
on 8 September 2007
There are many people out there who watch the London Marathon and capture the myth and excitement of THE MARATHON.

Originally at the turn of the last century the magic distance was just a shade over 22miles but during the London Olympic Games all those years ago the Royal Family (God Bless or curse them in this instance)thought it would be a spiffing idea if the race could finish outside Windsor Castle thus adding that horrid extra 4.1miles to the already crazy distance.

To take part in the Marathon at whatever standard involves a fair deal of preperation.Now there are no rules in the world of Athletics saying you cannot walk the full distance,you will certainly have completed the race but anybody of average fitness can do that.

What you want to do having thought about reading this book is to try and complete the distance to the best of your capability usually in around 4and half hours or so because you must remember 26.1miles is an awful long way.

This book as i found out provides you with step by step training for all levels from total beginner to seasoned athlete.Being able to see the exact distance or time on your feet to effectively complete the race is very rewarding.

If you are not going to do some training at whatever pace then this book is not for you.It is designed for somebody who is genuinely interested in competing in the race at whatever standard.

Think of it this way,can you jog or semi jog-walk 16-18 miles.If not then you will certainly find the race difficult.

This years London was terribly hot,imagine how they must have suffered.Imagine how you would suffer without somesort of training.

I have been running now for well over 16years but only attempted my first marathon in London 2005 and finished very tired in 3hrs 16min.I thought i knew everything about running but i can certainly say Mr Murphy's book gave me alot of usefull advice on how to train and eat properly for the race.

Ive read a fair number of books on Marathon training and i can honestly say this one was above average in its advice.If you are still interested in punishing yourself for over four hours buy this book because it will certainly ease your discomfort over those many miles.
on 9 December 2012
This book gives good advice from start to finish and gives some very useful and realistic training schedules. The best thing for me is that all the advice is available to hand in one book instead of going online and having loads of pages saved in your Laptop 'Favourites' folder.
I used this book to train for my first marathon in September this year and I religiously followed the 'Bare minimum for beginners schedule'. It helped get me around in just under four and a half hours and really helped me mentally over the last hour or so.
My only criticism is that I don't think there was enough detailed information for a novice on how many carbs and calories should be taken during the marathon race itself to keep you going. I have since filled my 'Favourites' folder with all kinds of information on this particular subject and just have to chose now which one to believe !
on 27 August 2012
I bought this to give me more information as I am a novice half marathon runner. It is really thorough and answered all my questions in an easy to read format. There are some useful web links at the back too. I suppose the only thing missing is how to deal with running when there are thousands of other people running around you, but I would wholeheartedly recommend this book. I have read it through and continue to refer to it.
on 4 May 2012
I have used the training programes in this book and have just run a sub 2 hour half marathon,new to long distance running the book tells you everything you need to get started and the results you want,its simple to understand and i have found it to be a real help in unlocking the mystery about how to run a marathon sucesfully,dont hesitate just buy it is my opinion,good luck on your runs regards malcolm