"The Crucible" (Student Editions)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 January 2017
The Crucible is a dramatised and partially fictionalised story of the Salem witch trials that took place in the Massachusetts Bay Colony during 1692/93. The play explores paranoia, the power of superstition and mass hysteria. It shows the dangers of using a scapegoat to fix problems in society. Classed as one of the great American plays along with the likes of Long Day’s Journey Into Night, Miller wrote the play as an allegory for McCarthyism, when the US government ostracized people for being communists. Many prominent people became victims of the Red Scare, Arthur Miller was one of many people who came to the attention of the House Un-American Activities Committee. In his play The Crucible Miller drew comparisons with the Red Scare and the witch trials of 1692 in Salem, Massachusetts.
on 24 May 2013
The Crucible is a timeless classic that has almost passed into the collective unconscious. So in a way there is no need to read it. It has always been part of the background to any debate about narrow minded fanatical intolerance, right wing prejudice or totalitarian government. It was not until I was looking into the origin of behaviour and in particular what happened to the old gods of the woods and fields that I read The Crucible. The attitudes the drove the witch hunts of 300 to 400 years ago are still very much alive to-day. Although the witch hunt for communists may have died away there are still plenty of witch hunts going on. The Crucible says it all so clearly and succinctly. There is really nothing else to say.
on 29 July 2014
The actual novel / book is great. I love the plot although at some points I feel it went quite slow and causing it not to be interesting any longer. The condition was great and make sure you order with one day delivery if you don't want it to turn up 2 months later. If you are a student I would recommend buying another copy of this book, either the student edition ( you would find this on the menu when your write it in the Amazon search tab and it should appear as a scarecrow being hanged on the front cover, it will say student edition in brackets next to the image) or you could by the hardback which has the image of a woman with a green light on top of her head. Bothe these have notes and questions for students to answer for a better understanding of the play and a better understanding of social/ historical context- in English gcse it is known as AO4. I also recommend you buy the York notes of the crucible with the hardcover just mentioned above. The York notes works only with the hard cover in terms of references to the actual book in terms of page numbers e.g on the York notes it will give a quote and say page 5, and that quote will be on the hardcover on page 5 but could be on a different page on other editions of the book. The York notes will help a lot. For anyone who loves reading try "as I lay dying" by William Faulkner. It is quite difficult but have a go.
on 18 February 2016
A very good, gripping play about the Salem Witch Trials. Provides an interesting viewpoint about the events, and I would thoroughly recommend it. The version of this play is clear to read, and gives extra character information that you would not know without reading it.
on 4 August 2016
Bought this as my 10 year old was in the play recently playing Betty. Although Betty didn't have many lines, we wanted to read the book together ready for the rehearsals and prepare as it is a very dark play
on 31 December 2013
Have taught this play for many, many years and each time that I read it something new is revealed to me. Children find the play difficult to study but it is very useful for a top set and provides valuable themes, characterisation etc that can be sound examination answers.
There are also numerous study guides that are helpful back up.
on 2 August 2017
Arrived safely and in very good time. Would recommend
on 1 September 2013
Quote: "We read stories for pleasure; they entertain us. And we read stories for profit; they enlighten us... They enlarge our understanding of ourselves, and they deepen our appreciation of life."

A study of the devastating effects of mass hysteria, allowing one's reputation to dictate how they behave (a concept embodied by the characters of Rev. Parris and Judge Danforth), and how children can become empowered; everyone with capable enough reading skills should read Miller's play "The Crucible."

I would also suggest buying notes to go with this copy- or finding essays online such as those of Cliff Notes or Spark Notes- so that you get both enlightenment and (intrinsically) entertainment from it!
on 18 December 2013
I bought this to compare with Death of a Salesman as part of my English Literature AS Coursework... I way prefer The Crucible. A fictionalised account of the Salem Witch Trials... and a subtle dig at routing out communism I feel? Arthur Miller discourages capitalism in Death of a Salesman... so I wouldn't be surprised. I always enjoy Miller's work and it's hidden meanings. Amazon, as per, had the lowest price (I have staff discount at WH Smiths...), free delivery, decent delivery speed and recyclable, strong packaging so the book was not at all scuffed
on 24 July 2015
Excellent play. The plot is suspensful, terrific and dramatic and his talent has made me want to read his other works. The film starring Daniel Day Lewis is a great adaptation. However, I would recommend reading this before going to see the play or watch the film.