on 3 March 2017
Great
on 21 February 2017
Arrived prompt and as expected
on 22 November 2013
This is really the saxophone equivalent of the Hal Leonard Guitar book which I reviewed a short time ago. My son decided to take up the instrument when he got to secondary school and this was the book recommended by his tutor.

Though perhaps not as clear as the guitar book in terms of layout, it's still a fine and effective teaching resource as a support tool for practice and development between individual or group lessons, though perhaps less suitable as a 'teach yourself' manual.

My son has been at it now for nine weeks or so and he finds the structure of the book very simple to use and easy to understand and the instructions clear to follow. Like the guitar book, it allows the student to play actual tunes from the very start, meaning the child (and you!) can hear progress from the start.

The price makes it good value for money - we didn't get the version with the CD and our boy's teacher thought that was the better way of approaching the early weeks. But I'd certainly recommend it for anyone who would like an additional source of tution support.
on 29 November 2013
I started playing the Saxophone on Monday 18th November 2013. And it is now Friday 29th November 2013. I have practiced everyday a couple of times each day and have progressed to song 40 in a fortnight.

There are probably people out there that have done this quicker than me but the progress I have made in my own opinion has been incredible - with the help of this book.

I have had two lessons in that time so far and have learnt a range of simple notes, quavers and ties. Im no Gerald Albright or Greg Abate but two weeks in you wouldn't expect to be. But my sight reading ability is improving and I am getting more confident at playing each day.

I am attempting to learn a couple of songs each day and this book introduces new notes with familiar tunes that are easy for the beginner.

I would recommend the one with the CD as this helps you to learn to stick to the time and rhythm of the songs so that you play at the correct rate, learning the time signatures and different skills. Plus if you play with the CD and start from some of the early tunes and go through the book it covers old ground and reinforces learning.

I am looking at different beginner books to have to aid in my sight reading, but for now this book has been amazing. Definitely recommended.
on 26 June 2001
Over 100 short pieces, beginner to around Grade 4, a mixture of popular classics, jazz and well known tunes. CD with stereo accompaniment, sax and piano on separate tracks so that the sax can be turned down or completely off. There are also a dozen or so duets and trios without piano accompaniment. Very good value.
on 1 February 2016
I bought this about seven months ago on the recommendation of my sax tutor when I bought my first alto sax. I've pretty much completed it now and it made learning the sax surprisingly easy. New music notation, notes and keys are added in stages, and the cd is useful when the timing is more complicated. The only (very minor) negative point is that some of the tunes seem to be misplaced in the book i.e. easy tunes nearer the end of the book and a few very fast ones at the beginning.

I used the cd sometimes with the abysm speed shifter to I could get to grips with the fast/ complex tunes before increasing the speed.
on 1 August 2003
This book is actually more of a play-along songbook than a guide for the absolute beginner with no saxophone experience, as no advice on embouchure, correct breathing, tonguing, care of the instrument etc is given. The only guidance being diagrams indicating which keys to press each time a new note is introduced - maybe the book is intended to be used in conjunction with a teacher. A lot of the songs are a little staid and although there are over 100 in the book, only 72 are actually on the CD. A better introductory book is ‘Play Alto Sax Today’, which in addition to a more imaginative selection of songs, also contains guidance and tips on actually playing the saxophone both in the book and as a voice over on the accompanying CD.
on 26 November 2003
As a complete beginner I needed some passages to inspire and give me confidence to carry on and take the instrument to the next stage. Also, basic instruction's included would have been helpful !
All you get is 'March Slav' and 'Fais Do-Do'. Maybe I have led a sheltered life but come on, when were these little gems last heard in public. Although, saying that, I have not attended a funeral in ages.
The backing tracks provided sound like they were recorded in the fifties.
The book is relatively cheap, but the way to look at it is that its a tenner off something decent. I wish someone would abracadabra my money back.
on 5 December 2016
Great book for someone who has never picked up the saxophone before. As a saxophone teacher, I have been using this for years with all my students and would recommend to anyone starting off. It has a wide selection of songs and duets, getting increasing harder towards the end. The CD backing tracks are also very useful and make the experience much more enjoyable!
on 25 November 2016
Greatl product,
Very easy to follow making it enjoyable to learn the many new songs.
The 2 cds are really helpful too.
Very good value for money
Great service, quick delivery and well packaged .
Highly recommended.