Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2004
This is a great guide for parents and children alike. If you need ideas of books to read or you like a certain book and want to find others like it,then this is a great guide for you.
With over 600 reviews - from classics, to books from our childhood to Captain Underpants and Tracey Beaker. Each book is reviewed, has an age range guide and the best bit - books you might also like to try.
My daughter and I read this book together and picked out lots of books to read - even some that I want to read. For a child that is an avid reader or a child that needs inspiration - this is a really worthwhile addition to the bookshelf.
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2007
I love children's books. My children are less keen but when I find the right subject and tone they can be torn away from the playstation, gameboy or computer. But finding the books is really hard unless you are a librarian or teacher.

This book is an answer to every parent who wants their children to become a book worm. It is also much better than any other children's book guide I have ever used.

Why is it so good?

First,it is fun to use because it is as clearly laid out as a Tracey Beaker novel.

Secondly, each recommended book has a review, clearly written with enough information to make a judgement but not so much you feel bogged down. Another strength is it is not just one person's opinion. A team of contributers recommend books. It is also straight forward to navigate around.; Each book is listed in alphabetical order of title.

Finally and best of all there is a box beside each title that gives ideas of what else you might like to read once you've finished the recommended book. It might include books by the same author or books which are exciting/scary/funny in the same way or which deal with a similar subject in a different way.

For example, my son who is not a great reader, is fascinated by WW2 and I was able to find about ten books I know he will enjoy.

I got my copy from the library but the next edition I will buy.
on 31 December 2008
It always amazes me that this fantastic guide, and its teenage and younger versions, are not more widely known. I have worked in children's books for thirty years and it is by far the best guide I have ever come across, not only for its excellent selection but also because it is so user-friendly and interesting to read in itself. My copies are absolutely dog-eared and I constantly use it personally and professionally to refresh my memory! Most importantly, I give it to children all the time ( again both personally and professionally)and it never fails! The teenage version has a faultless selection of adult books suggested for teenage readers.The Ultimate Teen Book Guide: Over 700 Great Books
on 6 October 2010
My son is a voracious reader and I am always trying to find books for him that are exciting yet appropriate for his age (8) This book has been invaluable in suggesting new titles, many that I had not heard of before. No school or library should be without this book, it is inspirational.
on 20 May 2009
This book is very useful for helping your child find books he/she will enjoy. It's very clearly set out so that you can look up a book you already enjoyed and get suggestions for other similar books. There's usually a variety of recommendations depending on why you enjoyed a book - was it the subject matter, the author, the style, etc? It's great for encouraging reluctant readers. Also if your child is into a particular series and won't read anything else (Rainbow Magic anyone?) this book is good for finding alternatives to broaden their reading. A very useful book for parents of junior school children.
on 27 August 2009
Really good guide that selects titles and then related books. You may already know about half of the primary titles but it is the 'if you liked this, then try this...' sections that are the most useful. You will find authors that you were unaware of but that you can almost be sure that your child will enjoy. Most of them seem to have written series rather than just the odd book so plenty to get stuck into!
on 12 June 2012
I was lent this book by my daughter's teacher after I moaned to her that if I had to read one more 'Rainbow Magic' book I was going to go completely crackers! It has helped me to find several other books/series which my daughter - age 7 but a competent reader - has enjoyed and given us both loads of ideas for authors to try when she is a little older. (Many of the books listed are within her reading ability but would be somewhat beyond her current comprehension level). I found lots of books in here which I remembered fondly from my own childhood, but there are also lots of recent books reviewed which we look forward to discovering. I've now ordered my own copy of The Ultimate Book Guide as it is definitely a book to be kept on the shelf and referred to frequently as your child's tastes and reading ability develop.
on 20 February 2012
Pupils at school, parents and teachers all found this very useful. We had the previous edition and I couldn't find Diary of a Wimpy Kid which has really got some reluctant readers off the ground like a rocket. Unfortunately it still isn't included but is still worth having.
on 4 April 2009
A helpful resource that gives useful ideas of the books that you child is likely to want to read. It is written in a clear, direct manner. It gives an idea of the difficulty of each book and on each review it gives a few suggestions of other books your child may wish to read. It gives reviews of old favourites like 'Fantastic Mr Fox' but also gives reviews of more recent fiction.
on 5 October 2015
Great ideas for new books and authors to try. A huge variety and something to suit all tastes.