I always feel rather hypocritical when I read Tom Gates and enjoy it. There are lots of reasons why Tom Gates, which I like, is similar to Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney, which I don't like. The plots are very thin, the text is sparse, and the illustrations dominate the books, meaning that you get a couple of hours reading out of either book at most, before you're done with them.

Where Tom Gates differs from Wimpy Kid however, is that Tom is actually a rather nice character, unlike Greg Heffley in Wimpy Kid. Tom has his enemies, of course, but he doesn't try to mercilessly get one over on people who are supposed to be his friends, like Gregg, and he isn't mean like Gregg. The humour in Tom Gates is quite gentle and silly, and inclusive, where Gregg is rather a manipulative, horrible character who enjoys the misery of other people.

I always try and steer children towards reading Tom Gates as an alternative (a welcome alternative) to Wimpy Kid. This latest volume is exactly like all the books that went before it, and none the worse for it. Tom and his friends enjoy the snow, and Tom tries to become a star pupil in class. At home, his family are gearing up to celebrate his grandparents fiftieth wedding anniversary and Tom and his band continue to fail to get a gig. All my children read and enjoyed this book over the christmas holiday, as did I, and it is another book that will be in high demand in our school library when we go back in January.
on 14 April 2014
Tom Gates is desperate for a Star Pupil badge. Marcus Meldrew has got one. He doesn’t stop going on about it either. Can Tom manage to get a badge while there’s snow (yeah!), homework (groan), and awful Marcus (double groan) to deal with?

This is the sixth book in the Roald Dahl Funny Prize winning series, and it’s as much fun as ever. Tom doodles on everything (so no change there then), his sister Delia is grumpy all the time (so no change there then either), and if there’s an opportunity to gobble up a caramel wafer it is not wasted.

Brilliantly entertaining to read, and equally entertaining just to look at because of the fantastic doodles, Liz Pichon really knows how to capture a reader’s attention, and how to make them giggle uncontrollably once she’s got it. The Tom Gates books are a great choice for reluctant readers, for willing readers, and everyone in between who enjoys silliness and caramel wafers. Plus you get two (two!) board games, and a lesson in how to make a stand-up monster. Extra special treats indeed.
on 30 January 2014
this book is so funny, I have read books like this that make me head into the adventure and make me feel like I am with them in school but this book was one of the best I have read so far. I would recommend this book for 8+ as some people might not get some of the jokes... I hope you all enjoy reading this book and I hope my review has told you all that you need to know about this book so enjoy reading....

Ella Beddoes
age:10
on 29 October 2013
I chose 5 stars because the book was amazing the doodles are good and its really creative and funny id say delia is like me lol
on 2 November 2013
Keep up the great books Liz they are the best. I enjoyed it so much I couldn't take my eyes of it. I recommend this book.
on 4 December 2015
All of the Tom Gates stories are brilliant, I have brought them for presents and for my 10yr old daughter. All children that get these seem to love them! They are great stories with pictures in the writing. So for example instead of saying I walked the dog, it would say I walked the 'picture of dog'. This makes the books so accessible for children who struggle to read and helps with their confidence with reading as they are standard sized books but easier to read than lots of words. Although they look very grown up and the stories are fabulous!
on 19 October 2013
We love Tom Gates but does the kindle edition work?

My 8 year old daughter eagerly anticipated the release of the new Tom Gates story, which we loaded on her kindle yesterday. She was delighted to see all the illustrations were included (we had bought hard copies in the past) but the quality of the images is very poor and the type size absolutely tiny (there is no option to increase the font size due to the illustrations etc I guess). I'm really struggling to read it myself but my daughter finds it almost impossible. My daughter's interest in Tom Gates stories stems from a difficulty with horizontal tracking. Liz Pichon's style is wonderful for children with this problem as the varying type sizes, illustrations and restricted number of words per page have hugely enhanced her enjoyment of reading and she has flown through the books so far! Such a shame as the kindle was her birthday present last month... back to paper then!
on 2 June 2015
Daughter loves these books. She finds the type very easily read. Progress through the book is rapid due to this, which encourages a slightly reluctant reader to read. It is a little below her ability (she is aged 9 and graded as 3A to 4c at school) but the story content is easily absorbed and enjoyed.
on 2 November 2013
i bought this for my Grandson who has read all the previous editions , and he loves it , also has encouraged him to read .
highly recommended
on 30 October 2013
This is Avery funny an good book it is worth reading great book if you read it recommend it to people