Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 August 2012
This is the third book in the Sally Lockhart series and I am very much looking forward to reading the last. After reading the second with the rather emotional and powerful ending, I was anxious to see how Sally would get on in the next book, and what she could possibly have thrown at her now - and this one does not disappoint, the anticipation and excitement starts almost straight away and it is a hard book to put down. Written by a brilliant author I think this series of books provides a great deal of entertainment and escapism and I would thoroughly recommend
on 28 October 2012
The most compelling novel I have read in years. It is by turns mystifying, frightening, horrifying, moving and, finally, hopeful and joyous. Its cast of well-drawn characters, especially the courageous Sally Lockhart and the Jewish socialist Daniel Goldberg, is unforgettable and its insight into the lives of the dispossessed of 1880s London is imbued with deep understanding and compassion. I have read with pleasure several of Pullman's novels but none has left such a powerful impression as this. What a writer!
on 26 April 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy by one of my favourite authors. The Sally Lockhart mysteries are a really good read, historically accurate and a decent social comment on the times. Phillip Pullman is a great storyteller.
on 23 April 2014
Philip Pullman is an incredibly gifted author. This series is very different from his northern lights series but it's just as gripping. Sally is a fantastic and believable heroine..you won't want to put this book down!
on 8 April 2013
The book arrived in good time. I have been searching for this everywhere and hadnt been able to find it. Now i have it and have been able to read it, i am pleased with the outcome. The book is great.
on 26 June 2014
The book has an air of menace that is quite frightening. It also informs the reader of the Jews plight during this period.
on 26 September 2012
It was full of twists, suspense and everything a fiction book should have. Even though I found the first book quite boring I loved this one. The feelings it gave me were so strong it was just amazing. I seriously don't have the words to describe it because I'm worried I may spoil it but I found this book intriguing both in a personal way and as a book as well. It had everything.
on 18 April 2014
Good book, well written, well presented, I intend to order the next or last one in the series of Sally Lockhard
on 6 May 2015
A great third adventure of Sally Lockhart, a good surprise in the plot