Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 July 2009
This is one of the most sensitive,pages turning books for young people published this year. It deals with family tragedy, the sudden death of a mother and the impact on those left behind. The fantasy element is woven beautifully round the story. I am a school librarian,and my girls are reading it very quickly and recommending it to their friends.As a follow on from Ways to live for ever it is another triumph for Sally Nicholls!
on 28 March 2010
Another sad book from this author. I read Ways to Live Forever earlier this year and that was a moving and powerful book. This book was also moving - this time with a touch of magic intertwined with the story. I enjoyed it very much but not as much as the other book. I love this author's writing, but I hope she can show some versatility in her next book by not using death to tug at the emotions. Nevertheless a very good read.
on 9 April 2009
Season of Secrets entwines the myth of The Green Man with Molly's story of loss and her new life with her grandparents in the country. Sally Nicholls' second children's novel is the best read since Skellig. I think of children's author, David Almond, as my soul author and I didn't think I'd ever find another children's author to match his writing.

Sally's first book, Ways to Live Forever won the Waterstone's Children's Book prize last year. I offered it to my teenage daughter to read and she declined saying, "I don't want to read any more books about dying!" But Ways To Live Forever is not just another book about dying, like Seasons Of Secrets, it's a book about being a child and all the magic and fear and sense of belonging and laughter and tragedy that childhood brings.

Sally Nicholls is the second of my soul authors and she has written her second brilliant Children's Book - I'll want to read everything she writes.
I loved this book. It tells the story of two sisters, Hannah and Molly, through Molly's first person narrative. Their mother died suddenly and their father has gone completely to pieces, dumping them with his aged parents, far from home, while he tries to rebuild his life and mourn his wife. Molly is confused and hurt by his reaction and her sister's anger at everyone. She struggles fitting in to her new community, and one night, when Hannah's latest rage sends them running into the darkness, away from 'home', she loses her sister and comes across an injured man in the lane. The man is set upon by a wild hunt led by a horned man, and Molly is thrown into a world where she balances the supernatural against the every day life of living without her mum, and trying to come to terms with both, all set against the turning of the year. The way I have described the story doesn't really do it justice. It is much more simple and powerful to actually read it. It is beautifully written, and very engaging. I thought the way it dealt with bereavement was novel, and effective. Highly recommended.
I finished Season of Secrets earlier this evening and if I'm totally honest, I was a little underwhelmed by it. 'Ways To Live Forever' is one of my favourite YA novels and I found this to be a disappointing follow-up, not because of the writing, but because of the subject matter. Yes, it's my old bug-bear; 'magical realism' - and in this case it really didn't work for me. I thought that the local folklore was maybe a little too localised for the book, it was a tale that I was totally unfamiliar with, so couldn't really engage with it.

There is no doubt however that Sally Nicholls has a beautiful style of writing and this will not put me off reading any more of her books, in fact I'm really looking forward to the release of 'All Fall Down' in March - set in Yorkshire during the Black Death.
on 6 April 2009
This has the sort of deceptive simplicity that makes writing look so easy! Each observation or description is deftly chosen. The world that Nicholls depicts seems timeless; grandparents as shopkeepers; school is a short walk down the hill; hawthorns form the dense hedgerows. It would be an idyll, if it wasn't for the strange hunt that takes place just beyond the village. And Dad's painful absence.
Molly feels that she must take care of the hunted man, but how can she when she isn't even sure that he's real?
Season of Secrets did remind me of David Almond's work, not just the mysterious stranger, but also the descriptions of the northern countryside. But comparison with Skellig is no bad thing! This is a real treat.
on 23 December 2011
I read this book within 4 hours so it is not too long if you just want a short read.
This book was ok, maybe just not for my age group.
It tells you about a girl (Molly) who lives with her grandparents, and sister Hannah, because her mum died and her dad wasn't able to cope. Her sister Hannah has never got on well with her grandparents, and decides that her and Molly have to run away. Hannah runs off, but Molly can't work out what way she went, and runs off too. It is in the middle of a bad storm, Molly meets this man with no shoes or shirt on, who is very badly injured......
This book didn't end like I thought it would. I would recommend it to people who love magical and interesting books, not normally my cup of tea but it was quite good.
on 11 April 2012
I recently read Ways To Live Forever by Sally and I liked it a LOT more than this. Molly has moved to her Grandma's and Grandad shop as her Dad can't look after her and her sister. She then runs away and finds a wounded man.... The Green Man. She secretly keeps meeting up with him and helps him. When her Dad finds out he blames the grandparents ( they had NO clue about this) I loved this book but don't rate it as high as Ways To Live Forever......:)
on 18 March 2015
Ok. The book was alright, but not brilliant. The author is my friend's mother's ex-student, so I read the book to see if it was good. The story was reasonable, though I would definitely like to be a lot more hooked. Also, I don't think the title refers to the book at all - I mean 'secrets'? There aren't many secrets!...
on 25 February 2015
Season of Secrets was a lovely flowing read. I love the way the Author has written the story, her type of writing is applicable to all ages of reader. I really enjoyed this particular story as it gave me the sense that I was the main character, it was a sweet adventurous story.