Customer reviews

1,049
Stick Man
Format: Board book|Change

on 17 October 2016
This was also bought as a present for the kids at the Nursery I work at. They all love Julia Donaldson but the fact this one had a story CD with it made it all the more exciting and the narrator on the CD does it so well, his voice really catches their attention. If you have a wee one who likes her books and you don't already have this, then put it on the top of your list for presents from Santa.
on 15 August 2015
I've just purchased a story board book, The Stick Man
For my grand-daughter, a Julia Donaldson fan
She recognised it immediately
A playschool favourite apparently

We snuggled all cosy in a big chair
And I slowly read the story to her
We also started conversations
As the beautiful illustrations
Encouraged us to look more carefully
For animals or objects we could see

This book will please old or young
The lilting rhyme slips off the tongue
The colourful pictures weave a tale
Will Stick Man succeed - or will he fail?
on 14 January 2017
My son loves all the Julia Donaldson stories and since seeing Stickman on TV this Christmas, he just wants this story read over and over again. Its a nice small size, perfect for travelling in the car or on a plane, and its a sturdy board book. Definitely recommend, as a gift or a new bedtime read for your little one!
on 12 June 2016
Great book, but the jump in the story line about two-thirds through is odd. As if the publisher said the original story was too long, we must forcibly remove 4 pages. A good prelude to letting our daughter watch the short animation version.
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2008
Yet again, Julia Donaldson has written a wonderful tale about Stick Man and his adventures. I love the way her stories rhyme in a fast paced way which delights both me and my 7 year old son. Even my 10 year old son loved to have the story read to him.

The book is beautifully illustrated with attention to detail which always makes it a refreshing read for children.

The story has a Christmas theme twist at the end which is truly delightful.

I would recommend this book as a gift, it will be thoroughly enjoyed!
on 7 March 2016
As I posted in my review of Tabby McTat, my little boy loves this book too. I found the rhyming easier in this book than in Tabby McTat and the story easier to read through. Like other Julia Donaldson books, this one has some characters from other books illustrated in it and I find this really keeps my little one's attention as we read through.
on 16 December 2010
My 5 year old daughter brought this home from school as her choice of Library book. Her brother 3 years old) loved reading it too and they both more or less memorised the whole book (which is a nice length for a children's picture book) in a week. We were all disappointed when it had to go back the following week, but she managed to bring it straight back home.

We all love the illustrations - you can see the same sort of animals that appear in Gruffalo - and look carefully at how the seasons change throughout the stick man's eventful year until we get to winter.

We loved the rhyming - it's best read aloud with extra expression (exasperation/shouting/warning) when the CAPITALS appear. And the thought of Santa being stuck (stuck man) never fails to amuse both our children.

The story is quite delightful and this book will be appearing in a Christmas stocking next week!
on 14 December 2015
I bought this for my 2 year old, we have most of the Julia Donaldson books now and they are great. This hardback version is very durable and would make a nice gift for Christmas for any child under 4 or 5.
on 23 July 2016
What a lovely book to read to children. The lilting text/prose and cheerful illustrations make this a must bedtime read. Also, as with Julia Donaldson books, there are 'chorus' sections that my grandson loves to join in with as we read. Heartily recommended.
on 9 February 2016
I love this story and bought this version for my nephew who is 20 months old for Christmas. It is really sturdy in comparison to the board book of the story I bought for my own son a few years ago. It will definitely survive toddler abuse! Would be a perfect gift with the stick man soft toy, such a pity they were sold out at Christmas!