on 21 February 2010
I loved Shiver it was amazing, deffinetly a book you can become obsessed with. The author Maggie Stiefvater is a complete genius and will not dissapoint. If you liked Twilight you'll love this!
on 22 December 2012
There are no words for this book!It's been a long time since I had a good read and this was just amazingly exceptional! I could read this over and over again. The characters are lovable, the story is unique and overall it is incredible!
Every page was entertaining and the plot really got you thinking. Unlike other books there weren't lots of useless characters or unnecessary scenes. The best thing would have to be that the POV changed which I think really makes the book. That way we got to see Sam's feelings and his story as well as Grace's. It wasn't too short or too long and it's a trilogy which has kept me hooked!

My favourite character would probably be Sam because he is different and he's a WEREWOLF- I love werewolves! He wasn't your typical,arrogant jerk; he was the opposite. Everything about him is appealing and his story truly fit with Grace. Also I liked the way Grace's character was portrayed, she wasn't a damsel in distress or the mean blonde girl either. What makes this book good is that the love story isn't rushed, the author prepares you for it. Also they make a cute couple so you want them together!

I would recommend this book to everyone! Well not everyone but if you enjoy paranormal creatures and romance mixed into one then you'll enjoy this. Also ANY twilight fan would adore this book!
on 8 January 2010
Such an awesome book! I swear it gets better every time you read it! If I wasn't procrastinating from doing my English coursework by doing this I would probably be reading it again.
on 22 April 2010
Well, I must say I am pleasantly surprised. This book was delightful! This is the first book I read that actually IS similar to Twilight, in a good way. I am not entirely certain when the book was published/written, if before or after Twilight, but it certainly has some stuff in common so I am guessing one of the two writers took inspiration from the other. I would normally be annoyed at certain similarities but in this case it was just a lot of fun! It is entirely about werewolves and that was a nice change, the fantasy behind them wasn't really detailed but it was nice enough for me. I loved the description of the woods and the whole wintery atmosphere. The romance was precious, and I loved that the book was both in the girl's and boy's perspective. I found the writing to be more "correct" than Twilight itself, even though I probably enjoy Twilight more, overall. I don't agree with the people that are "angry" about some similarities with Stephenie Meyer. I am pretty sure it's not a crime to take inspiration! If it's done well, that is. This is, to me, the best fantasy romance I've read after Twilight, so far. I'm not talking about a masterpiece here, but still great fun and lovely development. Can't wait for the sequel! Recommended to everybody, not necessarily teens, who enjoys fantasy romance.
on 7 September 2011
Stiefvater has written a brilliant set of novels for the older teen with this trilogy. I found the first to be a little stilted (still very enjoyable), the introduction to the characters, the reasons why the wolves are what they are had to be explained, of course, but it's really in the second novel that she gets into her stride. Mercy Falls comes alive under her pen, Grace becomes very three dimensional, as does Sam, and their love story gets simply stratospheric. My favourite is "Forever", where the character of Isabel - who appears in the first two books - almost takes over with her vituperative voice and acidic repartee. I can only think that the author knows someone like Isabel, so well defined is she. Cole St. Clair is an unexpectedly tangible tragic hero, and Stiefvater's musical references, gig scenes and all, fit beautifully and help spin this story so well. Grace's parents are hugely unlikeable people, I find myself grinding my teeth at their incompetence. I rejoiced when Grace, finally, bites back. This goes to show how well the novels are written, how involved I (I am quite considerably over the reader target age) became, and how sad I was when "Forever" was over. I can't recommend this trilogy enough to parents who want to give something spectacular to their (girl) teen to read.
on 16 November 2015
First of all, let me tell you that I love wolves. Naturally, when I found out that Shiver was about werewolves, the kind that actually turn into wolves, I knew I had to read it. And thankfully, it did not disappoint me.

I loved the dynamic between the main characters, Grace and Sam. How they lived in completely different worlds, were a entirely different species, but still managed to fall in love. Throughout six years they fell in love with each other without really realizing, without ever speaking to one another. And then one day, Grace's dream comes true. Her wolf his standing in front of her. But he's not a wolf anymore. He's a boy, Sam.
I really liked this concept.

I really liked Grace and Sam as main characters. Grace was funny and strong. And Sam was a tortured soul, both because of what happened to him in the past when he became a wolf and what would happen in the near future because of it.

In my opinion, the book could have used a bit more action than just in the last 100 pages (I kept turning the pages once the plot thickened), even though I quite liked the fluffy romantic stuff.
I'm looking forward to figuring out what happens in the next two installments, especially after that last scene!
on 26 September 2013
This is a good book with an interesting storyline. Obviously the whole werewolves thing has been done to death by now, along with vampires, but I still found that the characters and plot made the book entertaining. The main character Grace was unusually likable to me, if not completely relatable, but I found her wolfie lover Sam to be a bit too like the typical supernatural hearthrob for my liking. I thought Isobel was funny, and Sam's father figure whose name escapes me was good. The way that Sam constantly quoted poetry seemed like an attempt by the author (who is a very skilled writer) to be different and artistic, but poetry has always and will always confuse and irritate me. The poetry in this book was impossible to understand as I recall. But despite my moaning, I actually did like Shiver. Grace was cool, as was Isobel. The whole way that the wolves existed was pretty different from the usual YA fictional pattern, and the plot was interesting. I enjoyed reading it, and may buy the second one if I hit a book slump. If you're looking for something to read, you should definitely try this, just don't expect anything life-changing. It's a simple gooey love story with complicated wolfie parts thrown in that make for an entertaining read.
on 7 May 2016
I felt Grace's character was poorly set which gave a gauche tint to much of the book. Many scenes were simply implausible even from a basic social perspective. Not for me.
on 3 September 2011
I bought this book about 3 days ago, and have barely put it down since! This book is so beautifully written. At first I was a tad confused by the very beginning but after breaking into the third or fourth chapter found myself fully understanding what i had been previously reading about. The chapters in this book are small, some only a couple of pages long- each chapter is named after one of the two characters telling the story; either Sam or Grace. The book alternates between the two character telling their parts of the story. The content of the book itself is easy to read and easy to get hooked into. It really is a must read! I am completely in love with this book and have already ordered the second book (Linger) as i will to be able to start it as soon as i close the cover on Shiver. This book is definately for anyone who's a fan of the supernatural. This book is a romance, so people who hate lovey dovey books, maybe this isn't for you. But its certainly worth reading for anyone who loves supernatural romantic books, like the twilight saga. I haven't yet finished this book, but its sitting right next to me as a write this review, so as soon as I post it, I can pick up from where I left off. I hope you find my review useful <3
on 15 December 2011
I have to begin by admitting that I am a Twi-hard. I love the books and the films, but mainly the books. After reading them for the millionth time recently after seeing the new film at the cinema i felt utterly lost and didn't know what to read next (sad, I know). So I came onto Amazon to see what other books were recommended to me. This one came up, amongst others. I read the reviews and thought I would give it a go to see if it could engage me the same way The Twilight Saga did (the characters, the storyline, etc). I downloaded it onto my Kindle and as soon as I started reading I couldn't put it down. The storyline is intriguing and the main characters, Grace and Sam, are just as interesting. I found myself getting sucked in and I really enjoyed. My only criticism is that it was too short! I would have loved for the story to have lasted a bit longer. I have just downloaded the second book 'Linger' and can't wait to see where the story takes me next. The only confusing thing I found was the switching of the person's point of view from Sam to Grace and then back again but it does let the story be told from each of their points of view which I think is very valuable. Overall a fantastic read that I would recommend to anyone.