on 6 February 2012
having read an awful lot of books on eating disorders, this is certainly one of the better ones by a significant margin.
it's relatively believable and it explores the inner world of an ED fairly successfully.
it's been quite a long time since i read it but i continue to recommend it to people which i can't say for most of the books on eating disorders i've read.
on 25 August 2014
I found this book very well written, however I was disturbed to read about what the illness makes you think about your self and how you see your self, it is horrid.

the story is written about a girl who's best friend died because she was starving herself in order to be size 0x2. well the main protagonist is also heading down that road, starting off the main story. The story talks about the physiological effect wanting to be thin has on you.
pros:
-very cleverly written.
-it does have a sort of nice ending.

cons :
-very dark read.

hope this helps!
on 9 May 2016
Since I read 'Wasted' by Marya Hornbacher (not reviewed here as I didn't buy it from Amazon) I've gone through a spate of reading books about anorexia and this is probably the best fictional effort yet. It is beautiful, poetical and haunting and though it is aimed at a young adult/teenager market it is a well written book which can be enjoyed by adult readers as well. Probably not at all suitable for recovering anorexics though as it does glamorize the disease, to say nothing of giving them ideas of how to fool parents/doctors etc.

She really is a talented author and I only wish 'Speak' was available on kindle as well.
on 2 January 2013
A touching tale that focuses on the emotional and psychological strains of an eating disorder. The ending is somewhat predictable yet satisfying. A good book and very much un-put-downable
on 3 May 2017
I'm always weary of reviewing a book that I refused to finish - It's as though I'm judging it before seeing it through to the end which is hardly fair! Saying that, I couldn't go much further than page 120 of 'Wintergirls'. I like to think I gave it a good 'try' however..

Anorexia. A hugely destructive illness. An illness that I feel should be approached thoroughly yet responsibly. This book baffled me. It was written from a teen's point of view - aimed primarily AT teenagers and yet it was more triggering than anything else. Self harm, suicide and eating disorders -Personal view as someone that has and continues to have Disordered Eating? This felt like it was written for 'teen dramatics' and not a lot else. I didn't get to the end - but I'm assuming (hoping!) this 'Lia' character healed and turned her life around - for the sake of the teen's reading if anything.

Despite my personal opinions on the subject matter, this was absolutely terribly written. Terribly written! The sentences were all over the place and don't get me started on the whole 'Crossing out words' all over the place. This was the main reason for my 'giving up early', I just couldn't stand the clumsy writing style. Distracting and irritating.
on 30 December 2014
Enjoyable book. Well written
on 19 June 2014
I finished reading this book in 2 days. It gives a brilliant viewpoint of anorexia, wonderfully written I have already recommended it to friends and now I feel I must recommend it to all of you.
on 14 February 2015
Delivery took a while but product was as described
on 27 October 2015