Customer reviews

Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 October 2014
Its 1536 and Beatrice at 10yrs old is taken to meet the King and Queen, Henry and his new wife Jane Seymour. Beatrice would like to be able to work at the royal court and soon gets her wish, she finds that life at court is not all about glamour as she is witness to the schemingand cruely that goes on there, everyone it seems is only interested in improving there lot, hardest for Beatrice is to see first hand the torture and executions Henry is famed for. This is the time of Henry's many wives and the story explains each one, there pros and cons and how Henry disposed of them in his attempt to get a son and heir. Probably one of the better My Story books, historically correct and a good read.
on 5 August 2013
I picked up this book as I am an avid reader of Tudor history. It was clear within the first couple of pages that the book is for a younger audience, and I think it fulfils its purpose brilliantly. I can imagine young school girls (of pre-teen age) would be fascinated with this, truth be told, rather uncomplicated account of facts and simple writing. But what matters is the fact that British history is correctly presented (facts and dates) and I believe many young girls will learn more from this book (and the whole series) then from their school books.

Even thought the author tried to be historically accurate, there were a couple of mistakes in the narrative (already on page 5 there is a mentioning of the "fork" - there were no forks used in 1536 - Henry VIII and his court still used their hands to handle the food).

Not for adults.
on 25 January 2013
My 7-year old granddaughter has been a great fan of the series since she read the Anne Boleyn volume in the older, small-format version: this is now also available in a single volume with Catherine of Aragon, allowing the whole story of the six wives to be followed in two books. She presented it to her class in a show and tell session. Although the series has tended toward differentiation by gender, boys at school actually took the book away to read too, so clearly a good story appeals even if the cover is not exactly calculated to win over male readers. Alison Prince has been around as a children's writer and historical novelist for about five decades, so you know you are in safe hands. The style is fairly plain and the focus is on the history itself. In this, it is very different from, say, Harriet Castor's VIII, which is much more literary and aimed at older readers. This volume seems as popular as the others and is being re-read as I write - which is itself a recommendation. It seems to reinforce detailed knowledge of the history and to encourage follow-up reading of non-fiction.
on 15 June 2013
This book is very interesting and it is very historically accurate, and I love how it includes the bit at the end where Elisabeth and Lady Jane Grey are living with Thomas Seymour.The events, even the small ones, actually did happen. So it is a entertaining book but you also learn so much from it. It is also thicker then the other ''My Story books.'' The only thing is it is a bit hard to get into. Tudor fans or History fans will love it.
on 21 January 2014
My 11 year old daughter wanted this book after getting money for her birthday. When we looked in the high street book stores she didn't have enough money to pay for it. We checked online and it was much cheaper. It arrived quickly and in excellent condition. My daughter loves these books.
on 20 July 2011
It's year 1536. Ten Year old Beatrice began writing this diary. She met King Henry's new Queen Jane Seymour.
Beatrice's friend Eva (narrator of "Catherine of Aragon") and Elinor (narrator of "Anne Boleyn and Me") present Beatrice their diary.
Later Beatrice served Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr. So we will know all of Henry's wives.
on 14 January 2012
I bought this book for my daughter since she loves the series. I read it myself just to see what she was up to. It is a very plain account of the events happening in Henry VIII's times. I was not particularly impressed by the writing. Having said that my 9 year old daughter loved it and continues to read books from the series.

I have read some more books from the series and still think this is not the strongest one of the bunch.
on 6 December 2013
Bought this for my daughter and she had it read within hours of getting it - will probably have to get some more!
on 4 March 2016
Great book, highly recommend for any one interested in history with out boring txt books!!!
on 3 April 2013
This is by far the best my story book I have read! It is also really historically accurate! The only fault for me is that it shows paragraphs from the two other books. I have read Anne Boleyn and me but I haven't read Catherine of Aragon yet so Henry 8ths wives spoiled what happens in Catherine of Aragon.