on 27 August 2000
I thought that this was the best of the trilogy even though Fred wasn't in it. I think this series was as good as Pullman's Dark Materials because it is so different. I like the way he shows the main character, Sally, as a strong female in a hard time for women. Great, exciting plot. Couldn't put it down.
VINE VOICEon 10 May 2013
It is 1881 in Victorian London and Sally Lockhart is faced with solving a mystery that could cost her the one thing most dear to her: her own child. On her doorstep is a man with a piece of paper telling her that a man she has never met is petitioning her for divorce for her cruelty and immoral behaviour. With her business partners Jim Taylor and Webster Garland away on a photography expedition she seems vulnerable and the net closes fast around her, a forged marriage certificate, accusations of improper behaviour lethal to a woman and her business in the 1880s. And behind all is the shadowy puppet master figure of the Tzaddik.

Great melodrama, Sally despite all the odds managing to hold her own in a world in which men have all the power and influence. Not as warm as The Shadow in the North, but still good
on 3 March 2016
The third and best of the Sally Lockhart books.
The story incorporates the rise of socialist organisations, Russian Jews fleeing the pogroms of 1881, and issues of class identity, yet it's not in the least dry or academic. All the sociological and historical elements are vividly brought to life and seamlessly integrated into the narrative. Plus it's a more emotionally involving adventure this time as Sally goes on the run with her toddler daughter in the breathless and gripping central section. My only gripe is that some loose plot strands are tied up a little too swiftly and neatly in the final chapter.
Ignore the "young adult" label, this is a grown-up yarn with brains, heart and a conscience.
on 6 October 2000
The third book in this stunning quartet was just as briiliant and impossible to put down as the first two, if not more so. After the death of the courageous Frederick in "The Shadow in the North" we are introduced to Dan Goldberg who becomes quite a central character. He is a socialist politician who helps Sally to win back her daughter, money and freedom. Sally is reintroduced to an old enemy who is determined to make her suffer at all costs. There are still the old favourites such as Jim and webster as well. Philip Pullman has managed to keep the feeling of anticipation going all the way through and it is thoroughly exciting. This book is a must-read!
on 16 April 2000
The Tiger in the Well was one of the best books that I have ever read. It was the kind of book that had you reading for hours on end. I really loved this book and would suggest it to anyone and everyone.
on 3 January 2001
Previously I have read Philip Pullmans dark materiels series, but I indefinately find this book even better. The story plot is so cleverly depicted in my mind, I always seem to be in the scene of action. From the first chapter i was addicted. It's not surprising that I read the book in 2 days! The story of Sally Lockharts desparate struggle in Victorian London infineately surprises and excites me. The suspense is unmeasureable and the enjoyement of reading this book will last forever. I recomend this book to any willing reader.
on 19 January 2014
Arrived exactly as advertised. I love the covers on this set, as I used to own three different ones but lent them to other people and never got them back, so I bought the set again but with these different covers, which I like because they fit more with the Victorian/Edwardian theme of the books and look more like Penny Dreadful covers and the cartoons that were around at the time.
on 28 May 2004
Having been a recent convert to Pullman and having thoroughly enjoyed His Dark Materials, this 3rd book of the Quadrilogy is FANTASTIC! I have been choked with emotion reading this, and reading so fast wanting to know whats gonna happen next!! Cant wait to read the fourth...
Excellent book, superbly written and veyr well balanced... just make sure u've read the ruby in the smoke and the shadow of the north before this one...
on 25 October 2013
I absolutely love Phillip Pullman his stories are magical, well written and appeal to all ages. Hroine makes good after difficult start.
on 27 January 2016
Philip Pullman - what more can I say, I am a huge fan of his works, and this series did not disappoint. Brilliantly written.