on 25 July 2017
This is a beautiful edition of the books. Red hardback, Well bound with a gold page marker and a very pretty dust jacket. I never read these books as a child, and received this book as a gift last year.
I have to say, despite being an avid reader if fantasy, I found the story far fetched and struggled throughout all of the books to see where it was going and felt it lacked a bit of scene setting, although it was enjoyable enough for me to keep reading, sometimes switching to audiobook to plough through.
Particularly at the end of the first book, I was completely surprised by the ending, and a little confused.

Having just finished it though, all becomes clear in the end, and what an ending it is! I didn't really think I cared about the characters too much, feeling a little sceptical and disengaged with the story, yet having just read the last few chapters having to pause periodically to let some sobs out and grab some tissues, I see the mastery now in the subtle creation of character depth. Well worth reading to the end.
on 2 April 2017
Listened to these in the car was gutted they never made more than one film these fill in all the gaps
on 22 May 2017
This is an amazing edition of the book. The three books that make up the trilogy are compiled into one big book with a beautifully illustrated cover. It is a hard back book and is brand new. I would recommend this to anyone who loves to read at home because it is rather big to carry around in your school bag all day
VINE VOICEon 31 July 2017
I enjoyed this production but feel it didn't quite live up to the original. The casting of Mrs Coilter was perfect, so much better than Nicole Kidman in the disappointing film version of the first book. But dear me the voice of Lyra was so wrong. She was supposed to be just approaching puberty, but this actors voice was far to juvenile.
on 26 April 2017
Brilliant finale to a fantastic trilogy of books. Imaginative, thought provoking and very entertaining!
on 29 July 2017
I have read these novels before but wanted them in one volume. The edition is very pleasing to the eye and the pages feel as if they are of good quality paper.. For me, the size of the print is just right, and I think the book would make a lovely gift.
on 18 August 2013
I had watched the movie The Golden Compass which was apparently based on the 1st book in His Dark Materials "Northern Lights" & wanted to find out what happens to Lyra.
The book is so much more detailed than the movie (obviously) & (some of the changes are appalling to be honest)
on 18 June 2017
Such a clever book. Intriguing fantasy for a child, but with so many underlying, thought provoking, elements for the adult.
on 2 March 2017
I was sceptical this this was a teen book and while the subject included children it was so enjoyable I rattled through the trilogy an was as when it finished. Would highly recommend
on 4 June 2017
Great story. Would have preferred unabridged though.