Customer reviews

on 20 April 2010
A good book about the adventures of a Celtic prince taken captive by the Romans in 84AD and used as a hostage as they build the Stanegate road just south of what would later be Hadrian's wall.

This would be a good historical account for primary school children studying the Romans in school. As an adventure it was lacking though. Some stuff happened but this was more a series of things that happened than an engaging story. Most children will probably prefer Caroline Lawrence's "Roman Mysteries", although this one backs a lot of good educational content into a small space.
on 19 January 2016
Ace book. The kids in my class (Year 4 - 8 &9 years old) are absolutely gripped - especially as we are studying Roman invasions at the moment.
on 23 January 2014
My son loves all history and has a lot in this range. My son is thirteen and they are a perfect read for teenagers. My son doesn't like reading but he will read these books
on 25 November 2012
This is a book I would recommend to the younger reader,perhaps 12 years old or thereabouts. It wasn't what I expected to be fair so I find it difficult to appraise fairly.
on 6 November 2016
My year 4 class love the book and we read it as part of our Romans topic. Great to contextualise and give them a sense of the era.
on 28 July 2014
Fantastic book to use if you want to read a story to your class. We used it at 'Book Club'. Particularly appealing to 9+ boys.
on 13 January 2013
A great insight into the life of the common Roman soldier, a good read as are most of the books in the My Story series
on 1 February 2015
Only part way through reading it and enjoying it so far. Even better because I bought it used - as good as new
on 1 November 2015
Book in good condition, as advertised.